Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

surgeing problem on a VS Equipe

vkowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk executive
ok 1995 VS equipe ,we drive for 20-30ks then the engine revs fluctuate,very annoying in traffic when parked on restarting the (new )starter moter turns as if the battery is dead or on the way out .Leave the car for say 30 minutes all good.Would this point to a battery cable breakdown or what? thanks in anticipation
John

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe the battery is on it's last legs...or the terminals are dirty/corroded. Another thing to check is the main cable that goes from the alternator to the battery (the fat one at the alt) - these are known to overheat where they join the alt and the cable crytallises internally leading to eventual failure...I would check this item. Problems like this do not fix themselves - usually they fail completely on a dark wet night in unknown territory so if it was me, I'd investigate and repair asap.
So, inspect the battery cables - if they are not spotless or are not tight then fix. If the battery is more than 2 years old replace it. Batteries are cheap and a tow home will cost much more than a new battery and are one of the major causes of breakdowns. Report back.

vkowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk executive
Maybe the battery is on it's last legs...or the terminals are dirty/corroded. Another thing to check is the main cable that goes from the alternator to the battery (the fat one at the alt) - these are known to overheat where they join the alt and the cable crytallises internally leading to eventual failure...I would check this item. Problems like this do not fix themselves - usually they fail completely on a dark wet night in unknown territory so if it was me, I'd investigate and repair asap.
So, inspect the battery cables - if they are not spotless or are not tight then fix. If the battery is more than 2 years old replace it. Batteries are cheap and a tow home will cost much more than a new battery and are one of the major causes of breakdowns. Report back.
thanks for this ,checked the leads All good so tomorrow new battery (heavy duty )lets hope that works:)