Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surgery - Experiences/Advice

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
I was off for about 5 months + after shoulder surgery and then another 3 months on light duties. Coming up about 2 years now since the accident, shoulder is about 90% (but my physio therapist is impressed with what I have achieved with it).

Some things take time.

Recovery was probably more painful than the initial injury (broken and dislocated arm/shoulder, fracture of the greater tuberosity (displaced)).

Yes, time and patience.
I had a compound tibia, broken fibula and tibia plateau fractures. Initially a halo, then screws (big suckers for the tibea plateau, looked like roofing screws), tibia nail and a skin graft. Seventeen long days in hospital, three months off work and approximately twelve on light duties. Took a good two years, lots of physio, another operation to remove the screws from the tibia plateau and the top of the nail and is 95%. I was glad to walk again but can now light run/jog.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Had tonsils ripped out a few months back. Day 5 is absolute hell, drinking just water feels like razor blades.
I just wanted to be knocked out again, that is just a awesome feeling, remember laying there going let's see if I can stay awake, then I woke up lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes, time and patience.
I had a compound tibia, broken fibula and tibia plateau fractures. Initially a halo, then screws (big suckers for the tibea plateau, looked like roofing screws), tibia nail and a skin graft. Seventeen long days in hospital, three months off work and approximately twelve on light duties. Took a good two years, lots of physio, another operation to remove the screws from the tibia plateau and the top of the nail and is 95%. I was glad to walk again but can now light run/jog.

Yep, things take time indeed.

I got lucky, did the injury at about 7.40am, was in surgery by about 2pm that day, then my luck ran out, a 1.5 hour op took about 5 hours..... Unfortunately I have built up a resistance to certain drugs over the years and they ended up giving me to much of something that stopped my breathing (some sort of muscle relaxant I believe), they put in a plate and 4 screws (which I still have) and I was discharged the following day by 2pm.

Fortunately things are still improving for me, more so strength wise than flexibility.

The poor bastard I was sharing a room with wasn't so lucky, he'd been run over by a bus in Thailand , had eventually been sent home to NZ but he was in a bad way but lucky to still be alive. The old bastard loved giving the nurses a hard time, he still knew how to use his hands ;) :hmmm:

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Well,firstly,get yourself a Netflix subscription or torrent a **** tonne.

I had 10 months off work for chemotherapy and 3 months off after that for major surgery to remove a tumour from my chest. Skin grafts and muscle grafts. The 10 months was Income Protection but the 3 months was sick leave. Still on negative sick leave 12 months on!

All I can say is dont get cocky and think you're ready to go back to work. I went back a little earlier than I should of and pulled a muscle trying to compensate for my surgery.

Also,utilise your loved ones. Everything from shopping to getting the remote off of the floor. If you rip a stitch,you're going back into hospital.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
post deleted