Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension creak after new front shocks?

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
So have installed a brand new set of shocks on the SV6, including new strut mounts, everythings torqued and installed correctly etc etc

I now have a creak coming croming the front, the creak only happens with a forward or backward motion ie when coming to a stop or slowly taking off, no sound when drving at normal speed. and eveything is tight.

The only way I have managed to replicate the sound with the wheels off, is when I loosen off the shock to knuckle bolts?

Definatley wasnt present with the old shocks. and its driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
spray a bit of WD40 on the strut mounts and go for a drive, are you sure you didn’t install them upside down?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have the same issue I think and it only happened when the mech replaced the strut top on the left side. I will be watching to see how you resolve this. Mine occurs mostly in the morn and I normally have to turn the wheel to hear the noise.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Factory strut mounts?

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Think ive sorted it, took the wheels off and loosened both shock bolts, then jacked the assembly up putting load on the suspension and strut and re torqued both bolts,noise seems to have gone

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So have installed a brand new set of shocks on the SV6, including new strut mounts, everythings torqued and installed correctly etc etc

I now have a creak coming croming the front, the creak only happens with a forward or backward motion ie when coming to a stop or slowly taking off, no sound when drving at normal speed. and eveything is tight.

The only way I have managed to replicate the sound with the wheels off, is when I loosen off the shock to knuckle bolts?

Definatley wasnt present with the old shocks. and its driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have exactly the same problem,
I replaced everything, from struts, tower bearings, including all 4 Suspension Arms, Hubs, Rotors,
and its annoying the ___ out of me,
The only thing I haven't changed, is the Rack, that will be next if it gets worse,
I did notice there is a gap between the top of the tower and the plate in the underneath of the tower, as I was going to drill through the existing holes on top and put some bolts through them, in case it was the two surfaces/metals flexing.
I did take the car for a road test and placed it on ramps, then I torqued it all up to OEM torque settings. [as mentioned in another thread about front suspension]

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have taken a photo of the right hand top tower on my wagon,
and I was thinking of drilling out the existing holes that are already pressed in the top of the tower and place 8mm bolts in them with nyloc nuts on the bolts,
I wonder if anyone else has done this to try and stop the DAMN suspension creaking.
They do utilise the holes for a brace from Tower to Tower when its installed.

Attachments

• VE Tower_Right HS_2.jpg
    VE Tower_Right HS_2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
ah, the gap is supposed to be there.

get someone to sit in the car and turn the wheels back and forth while you witness the magic.