Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension Help

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
So my I had some KYB's put in my car a few weeks ago, and now this has happened.

Haven't hit anything hard or fast other then the normal man holes/pot holes on our Adelaide roads.

Any ideas what has happened here and if I need to replace the whole shock?

Cheers

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
So my I had some KYB's put in my car a few weeks ago, and now this has happened.

If I read your post correctly, you had them fitted a couple of weeks ago and now this has happened
You need to contact whoever it was that fitted them and get them to diagnose the cause. (Would be covered by warranty if a new part has failed)

It appears as though the strut shaft has just punched through the strut top mount

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Looks as if the washer under the bush wasn't fitted.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
They were fitted by my brother who is a diesel mechanic. He used his workshop to put them in.

He told me that they had an inbuilt washer welded on them, I'm guessing this is what's snapped. Hopefully was just a faulty weld and it wont happen to the drivers side one.

I bought the car privately just before Christmas. The guy I got it off had purchased the shocks to put in because the old ones were a bit soft but hadn't got around to installing them.

Pretty sure he got them off ebay, I guess I could chase him for a receipt.

Closest place to me is pedders, do you think they'd install a shocker if I grabbed one myself from sprints or somewhere like that? Saves me heading out to pick up to get some spring clamps/jack stands etc.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Are the springs std height or have they been swapped out for lowered and put back in std struts. Just out of curiosity now the strut had punched thru, is the front sitting a lot lower?

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Are the springs std height or have they been swapped out for lowered and put back in std struts. Just out of curiosity now the strut had punched thru, is the front sitting a lot lower?

Standard springs and the car is sitting at the standard height.

I noticed it was hitting bumps quite hard on the drive home yesterday, but being as I'd had a long day and was tired i thought i was just getting agitated and it wasn't anything unusual. I only noticed this arvo because I couldnt shut the bonnet properly and the bonnet was sitting higher on the passenger side.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
So would this be a strut replacement or would i need to source a new top mount as well?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, they don't have a washer built in. There are two cup shaped washers, one goes under that bush, one goes on top. They are to stop this very thing from happening. There is a steel tube that runs through the bush, the washer sits against that to stop the bush from compressing and to stop the shaft from punching the tube through and out the top.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
yip NAAF is onto it... had the same thing happen to me.. was in a primera thou... i just brought coil overs instead... ;)