Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension Lowering

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz cv8z monaro fusion 6spdm
Vy's come standard with an adjustable rear end, look underneath and you will see a black bar coming from the mount just behind where the shocker mount's at the bottom going to another link which is also black and is bolted to the diff. it has two ends with the centre being a nut and two threads coming out each side you simply just put a shifter on the nut and turn it either way if your tyres scrub after being lowered to adjust wheel geometry, i suggest you talk to whoever you get to lower it about this, hence a camber kit isn't neccesary. The factory fitted camber kit became standard from vx series 2 onwards and comes on every holden commodore. hsv use this to put big wheels on and lower it because they used get complaints about tyre scrubbing with vt's and early vx's and hence holden kept it too hope this helped

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hmmm...
That DID help (sorta). I didnt know about the adjustment.

So are you saying the camber is adjustable or the ride height?

V

VPcommy

Just a word of advice.... I wouldn't go King's either.....
They look good, handel a bit better than standard but Pedders are the way to go. I have Super Low Kings (50-60mm) in the front and Extra Super low in the rear which is about 15mm lower than Super low. I also have Shorter stroke Monroe shocks in the rear and Duro in the front. Although, I have never heard of Duro which Im not too happy aobut?? The Mechanic recomended them and said they are better than Monroe and KYB?? It cost a bit over $1000 and its nothing like my mates with pedders. I feel every nook, crany and bump in the road and its a little bouncy. If your going to spend the money, my opinion is too spend a little extra and go sports rider shocks and springs.
Just a thought though.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz cv8z monaro fusion 6spdm
it means you (or someone who knows what they are doing,if you don't) can adjust the geometry of the wheel (camber) in a matter of minutes

however some theives in the car modifying industry will still try to tell you that you need a camber kit to fix the camber and at times suckers will fall for what they are saying (beleive me i worked at a pedders suspension agency for 6 months)

moutwari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 A4
19''roh modena

that's very interesting(adjusting the geometry of the wheel) i have to agree with you if you had not mentioned this i think i may have taken advise to have camber kit fitted, at least i have some idea and would be able to go into my situation with some basic knowledge. i had fitted some roh modena's 19x8,tyres bridgstone s-03 profile 35 to my vy sv8, i will drop some photos when i get the chance and you will see why it needs to be dropped a fraction. i requested the dish on the 3 piece rims to be slightly deeper so the off set changed.i was told to be careful with load as tyres will surely hit the lip onthe inside of the gaurd (rear).if your theory works i shouldnt have a problem should i ? cheers.

Last edited:

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Wish I had of visited this side of the forums before I got King Springs and Monroe Shocks fitted for 1k. Ride sounds better with pedders, and for basically the same price.

G

GzGenIII

Yeah I am thinkin of getting my VY II Berlina lowered very soon. It has a Gen III V8 5.7 engine and VY SS 18" x 8" Mags. Does anyone know how far I can lower it from standard berlina suspension (it's not FE2).? I live in SA (I know some states have different laws about how far you can lower your car).

Pedders said to go with the 'comfort' shocks. They said sports ryder would shake the crap out of my car? Although from what I read on this forum it sounds like Sports Ryda seems like the way to go. How is the ride? Still smooth enough or you feel every bump and pebble in the road?

hrforever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Pedders

Its now some months since I installed the 25mm lowered Pedders springs and Sports Ryder shocks ( 4 wheel alignment done at same time) and I must say I cannot fault them. I have a station wagon and empty or fully loaded it rides well and handles unbelievably for a car with just on 100k on the clock and 35 series tyres on 18" wheels. The springs and shocks are now 8k old and I have had nothing but praise by all that have riden in it. Even owners of new VZ Commodores with FE2 say the Pedders are far more comfortable.
Best money spent.

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
Have pedders superlows on my SV8 thats the model before Race series can get bpart numbers if needed rides fine have to do the shocks soon been lazy bought mine of e/bay for a bargain of 100 front and rear fitted them myself ( mechanical background well actually 6 yrs worth) had 1000k's only on them of a demo car.. BARGAIN

hrforever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Ok, here's an update after some three years since having my VY s/w lowered with Pedders. If lowering, get a caster kit and urethane bushes fitted (front and rear). Two lots of rear tyres have been wasted because of lowering, travelling interstate fully loaded and not having a caster kit fitted. They wear on the very inside of the tyre without being noticed until its to late and the tyres stuffed.

The fronts scrub because of worn bushes, not the lowering, so urethane bushes are needed to fix that and save those tyres.

Use this update as you see fit.