Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

suspension upgrade advice for ute that will only be used for drift

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Dropping in an rb25det into the ute (completely unregistered its only going to be for the track) and was wondering what good aftermarket suspension you can get for these things? It also looks like a massive pita to change the shocks. In Skylines its like a 10 minute job per corner.

So yeah, can you get coil overs for these cars?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
don't forget sway bars while you're at it.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
im assuming you have a VG ute.

there's no coilovers out the for live axle VN-VP cars best bet is to modify another kit to suit and weld in your own mounting points live they do with tubbed cars for the rear and try n get a custom kit for the front. I've seen muscle garage avdertise kt but never found them for sale :/

get good stiff sway bars for sure tho

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There's no coilovers for IRS cars either for the exact same reason. The spring and shock are seperated in the rear, which means the most you can hope for is an adjustable sleeve type setup and some shock absorbers.

Can get them for the front though. Not sure what shocks are like for utes/wagon, but I can get the springs and shocks out of the rear of a sedan in 10 minutes, literally 2 bolts.

Would also recommend getting more castor in there too.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Im not usually a hater but... why the #### would you choose such a stupid vehicle..

Sent from my shoephone

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Heavy duty shocks and stiff springs and see how you go. A commo ute isn't an ideal drift vehicle so probably not the best to spend big $$$ on it

Stiff suspension should get you drifting ok, lock the diff or get a LSD too.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Im not usually a hater but... why the #### would you choose such a stupid vehicle..

Sent from my shoephone

U beat me to it lol, so many reasons it will be a handfull, the live rear for starters, you can get coil overs for the front, you can do rear springs and shocks in ten minutes not that hard. Will need upgraded brakes as the standard brakes are horrid! Will need big dollars suspension wise!

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
But why the ####? Its like saying that i want to build a 180sx for 4wd use its just plain stupid.. some people obviously have wayyyy to much money laying around

Sent from my shoephone

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Also you need a handbrake to drift, this is non exsistant in a vs commie, good luck getting it to work lol My one when on does two tenths of f@ck all

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
But why the ####? Its like saying that i want to build a 180sx for 4wd use its just plain stupid.. some people obviously have wayyyy to much money laying around

Sent from my shoephone

Very true, will be a handful! not sure how easy conversion would be either
I thought school holidays originally but think he to old!