Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv5000

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
Hi guys. I recently removed the throttle body to find a small coolant leak. After finding a loose hose clip and replacing it, bolting everything back together the car is surging at idle. Took it for a drive an the trans isn't shifting into gear properly. Wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen or knows what could be going on?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Surging at idle could be IAC (Idle Air Control) or vacuum leak check all hoses around the throttle body/intake. If its not that then it could be the kick down cable not adjusted properly but i have my money on vacuum leak

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
Thanks for your reply mate. So would a vacuum leak be affecting how the trans shifts in to gear? I will check for vacuum leaks tomorrow after work. Also is adjusting the kickdown cable easy to do or something a gearbox shop needs to do

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
I would check the kick down cable first if its not shifting properly.

Its easy to do just difficult to explain.... Hopefully this makes sense, (ignore the fact this is a v6 in the pic the cables are laid out the same on the v8 throttle body).
The cable at the back of the pic is the throttle cable and the cable at the front is the kick down cable.
Ok so to adjust this you press the metal tab (red circle) and push the plastic sheath all the way in (green circle) then let go of the metal tab.
Now turn the throttle body all the way open till it hits the stop.
When you do this the kick down cable will click out automatically to the correct position.

adjust kick down.JPG

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
make sure you haven't caught the kickdown cable with the front engine cover stud (the one that sits on top of the throttle body)
It's easy to do. If the stud goes on the wrong side of the cable, it will pull on the cable
Auto reacts as if you have the foot hard on the throttle, throwing out your shifts