Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Aftermarket air intake

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Hey Guys

I have been considering putting a Cold air intake (CAI) on my car, but I heard it might cause an error light to come on, has anyone put one on their car or know the answer to this? I know the general thoughts here about modding the sv6, but its cheap, and might add a few kw, or probably just a bit of induction roar. ($270)

the 2 units I have been considering are below. Is the OTR CAI going to make any difference over the cheaper one? As I wont pay double for something that just looks a bit better, I don't show off my engine bay to anyone...

Cold AIR Intake KIT VF V6 Sidi SV6 Calais Z Series Evoke Thunder 3 0 3 6 Litre | eBay

Performance Holden SV6 VE VF Orssom OTR Cold AIR Intake Sidi LFX LLT 3 6 3 0 V6 | eBay

any opinions appreciated

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I was thinking of doing it myself in the not to distant future. Its just preference, but I'd be getting the OTR intake as long as it supports the air flow sensor. If it doesn't, then you will need a re-tune to fix the error you will get.

Dont worry about the KW as any gain will be tiny, and just ignore all the V8 owners to get on here and force their opinions down your throat.

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
just had a look into it. OTR supports airflow sensor, but requires a tune/remap as well. so pod style is about $270, and OTR will probably end up close to $1000...

Think I might give the pod style a go. hopefully it sounds good and not too loud

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Dont worry about the KW as any gain will be tiny, and just ignore all the V8 owners to get on here and force their opinions down your throat.

V8 owner here haha i would get the OTR if i was going to keep the car for a while and keep moding it in other performance areas. If i just wanted a cheap intake a good enclosed pod would be the next to come to mind if budget allows.

If i was poor and on a budget i would stick with the factory air box maybe hole saw a few holes and grab a drop in after market air filter. Which i could rip out and replace with the stock filter if need be. Oh yeah since i have a V8 i have to say get a V8 mate nah just do what suites you....

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Thanks SS-REX

I was originally looking at an SS, but this car came up for a price I couldn't refuse. It will become the wife's car when she goes on maternity leave in a few months, so its not worth spending much on mods... Will likely upgrade to the calias V / SSV in a year or two. I have put on SS Mufflers, so a CAI and possibly a tune is about all this car is ever gunna get power wise.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
hitek - You know my stance on this !

panel filter + cheese holes + copper pipe + silicon hoses = GROWL !!!!!!

60$ + free + 30$ + 40$ = 130$

my DIY job looks nasty but sounds great and I dont care ;)

also the check engine light that comes on with most intakes is due to incorrect or inadequate plumbing for the PCV system and can easily be removed if you have access to OBD scanning software

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
So to make it really easy.

The first one, which is an 'airhammer' style is ****.

It is **** because of the following reasons:
- Exposed pod filter is illegal
- Exposed pod filter near wheel arch creates likelihood for hydro locking which is water saturation on filter which prevents/hinders the car from breathing. (I had one and this actually did happen to me)
- Aluminium pipe conducts heat like crazy, when the pipe is cold you will gain more power. After your engine heats up this heat will convect and conduct into the aluminium piping, heating your intake charge and potentially causing you to produce less power than factory. (this is not proven but makes sense)
- They rarely fit properly, and you do not want aluminium shavings flying through your intake manifold as the mouth of the pipe rubs on the TB.

The OTR is your best option as it does not suffer from any of the above problems and also flow better. You will need to make sure the one you purchase is compatible with your MAF. The car may be adversely impacted for the first few hundred k's as the computer adjusts to the altered air flow. Getting an OTR and a tune at the same time is a logical choice.

Good luck!

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
^^ Christov - i have done some testing with a simple copper pipe used in my DIY intake and I can confirm that there is an amount heat soak that you are talking about .... whilst noticeable from a temperature stance I am not sure if it would make 'that' much difference once the air is flowing through the pipe into the plenum ready for combustion, however I can confirm that my exposed piece of pipe was showing nearly a 5-9 degrees warmer temperature (depending on ambient temperature) at the MAF to when i used a simple fiberglass style heat wrap.

IMG_2959.jpg

Also you would need to be driving through water up to your A pillar to get hydra lock !!!

Last edited:

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Thanks for the input mate.

Copper will conduct heat faster than aluminium however aluminium radiates the heat more easily into the airflow, aluminium is not great for use in air intakes. Despite its widespread use, it is for cost efficiency rather than its thermal properties.

When my filter hydrolocked it was pissing down with rain but I did not drive through water or even a puddle.

That style of intake is rubbish, their is a reason they are cheap. Just like X-Force exhausts, you pay for what you get.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
post removed