Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Black Edition Speedo Error

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
Standard VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon. My Garmin GPS indicates 110 kph, my vehicle indicates 113 kph. assuming the GPS is correct what does everyone else's vehicles achieve when compared to a standalone GPS??

GPS Vehicle
58 60
78 80
97 100
107 110
110 113

I expected some error and a 3 kph error is close compared to my Jap cars which some are up to 10kph out.

LS3Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Director
On my black edition the speedo error seems to increase as you get to higher speeds, for instance if my speedo says I'm doing 110, I'm doing about 105-106.

This offset is intentionally dialled in by the factory as a %, hence the variation as speed grows. Under ADRs manufacturers must ensure speed is not understated.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that is completely normal, because its all a percentage when u are doing 40kph it will be prob 39 or very close so if they made 100 = 99 then u will be reading under at 40 which is not good, but u will also find that the ecu's speed is spot on and odometer is spot on only the speedo is out so u have some leeway

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
On my black edition the speedo error seems to increase as you get to higher speeds, for instance if my speedo says I'm doing 110, I'm doing about 105-106.

My VE and also VX is same as yours only out by a few ks. I also have a 2012 Fiesta, and wife drives an 08 Forester and had an 06 Lancer before the Forester - all of them are about or near 10% out, my Holdens are the only ones that are close to accurate. Legislation is the speedo cannot read lower than the true speed, and up to 10% error is acceptable if reading higher than actual speed.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ever since about 2008 ive seen so many vehicles that are around the 5-10% faster then actual and they wont fix them because its within the ADR, but strange thing is that the odometers are spot on so for some reason the vehicle manufactures have only made the speedo needle read faster, maby they are trying to slow us down... but most new commodores ive seen are within about 2-3%

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
ever since about 2008 ive seen so many vehicles that are around the 5-10% faster then actual and they wont fix them because its within the ADR,

They won't fix them because they're operating as designed. It's better for manufacturers legally for them to overread than to make them 100% and risk a small deviation causing them to underread (and be illegal).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea we always set them up to 2-3% fast, worst thing is everyone comes in to get there's checked when they get a ticket because they are trying to compensate for the 10% fast then they also think they can fight it in court but we tell them it dosnt look good when u are trying to compensate for it with a speedo needle reading 123 in a 110 zone so if u stay to your speedo speed u will never get caught

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
As LS3Director stated the error is intentional and as per Smashfist and 07GTS posts it’s better to be going slower than the reading as this way the manufacturers avoid lawsuits for unintentional speeding fines.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I recently bought an aftermarket HUD which uses the OBDII socket. At 110kmph on the speedo, the HUD says about 107kmph. Looks like the OBDII socket may have the accurate data from the BCM/ECU etc.