Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 complete engine fail at 110000k. and the car isnt even 3 yrs old...

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
I suggest you stop running your mouth off without getting the facts of the matter straight first - All is proceeds to do is make you look like an idiot - "I work at a dealership, I know that dealerships NEVER get involved in any shifty business". You don't even know the circumstances surrounding my reasons for posting that comment. Now, to enlighten you:

I went to have my vehicle serviced at a dealership (yes, thats right, I said dealership) in Victoria and was asking questions as to what lubricants etc they use - I am mechanically minded, having worked as a motor vehicle mechanic some years ago

I was informed that it was a semi synthetic blend of Castrol with a weight of 5w30 - I thought this was odd, as I thought Castrol did not make a dexos rated oil in 5w30. Upon questioning further, I was told that it WASN't a dexos rated oil and that IF I wanted a fully synthetic blend of oil, that it was NOT included in the cap priced servicing program ($185) and that I would have to fork out an additional $90 odd dollars for Castrol 5w40!!! - Not even the correct viscosity of oil recommended by GM for the vehicle. Queried again further about not being a dexos rated oil and that how could they use it in a service, as it didn't conform to the manufacturers specifications - Was informed "It doesn't matter, as long as the viscosity of the oil is the correct weight" - Right.

Thought at that stage that it was time to take my vehicle to another dealer, one of whom WOULD use the correct oil rating that conformed to GM specifications and honour the servicing cost of $185 - Just so happens to be the same dealership that I take all the work vehicles to be serviced.

The result - vehicle serviced for $185 as per the capped price servicing, inclusive of a dexos rated 5w30 oil

Im not saying ALL dealerships are shifty, but I'm not saying ALL do it by the book either

Now, have I appeased you? Does it look like I've got my facts straights before "opening my ####ing mouth" & am I "spouting **** I have no idea about?"

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I suggest you stop running your mouth off without getting the facts of the matter straight first - All is proceeds to do is make you look like an idiot - "I work at a dealership, I know that dealerships NEVER get involved in any shifty business". You don't even know the circumstances surrounding my reasons for posting that comment. Now, to enlighten you:

I went to have my vehicle serviced at a dealership (yes, thats right, I said dealership) in Victoria and was asking questions as to what lubricants etc they use - I am mechanically minded, having worked as a motor vehicle mechanic some years ago

I was informed that it was a semi synthetic blend of Castrol with a weight of 5w30 - I thought this was odd, as I thought Castrol did not make a dexos rated oil in 5w30. Upon questioning further, I was told that it WASN't a dexos rated oil and that IF I wanted a fully synthetic blend of oil, that it was NOT included in the cap priced servicing program ($185) and that I would have to fork out an additional $90 odd dollars for Castrol 5w40!!! - Not even the correct viscosity of oil recommended by GM for the vehicle. Queried again further about not being a dexos rated oil and that how could they use it in a service, as it didn't conform to the manufacturers specifications - Was informed "It doesn't matter, as long as the viscosity of the oil is the correct weight" - Right.

Thought at that stage that it was time to take my vehicle to another dealer, one of whom WOULD use the correct oil rating that conformed to GM specifications and honour the servicing cost of $185 - Just so happens to be the same dealership that I take all the work vehicles to be serviced.

The result - vehicle serviced for $185 as per the capped price servicing, inclusive of a dexos rated 5w30 oil

Im not saying ALL dealerships are shifty, but I'm not saying ALL do it by the book either

Now, have I appeased you? Does it look like I've got my facts straights before "opening my ####ing mouth" & am I "spouting **** I have no idea about?"

Yes you are still spouting **** you have no idea about. You get the occasional dodgy dealership (like any mechanic, business, etc) and your claim of "Holden don't even put dexos rated oil in as part of the capped price program" is still ####ing wrong. You have found one bad dealership (did you report them to Holden btw, I would) - to claim that all dealerships are like that is simply incorrect. To say that "I'm not saying ALL dealers are shifty" but previously say "Holden don't even put dexos rated oil" is contradictory.

If you're going to say that a dealership is dodgy then say it - don't slather them all with the same brush because many of them work very hard to do the right thing.

Oh and castrol DO make a 5w30 that conforms to dexos2 btw. Google Magnatec 5W-30 C3.

And please note that I never stated dealerships never do anything dodgy (I know of some in my general area that should be stripped of their dealership contract), but I was making a point that your statement that implied all dealerships are dodgy is incorrect. I still stand by that statement.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Castrol have 23 oils that are dexos1 approved, most are available globally and most are 5w-30

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
My 2011 sv6 which ive had from brand new fully failed last week.

So 2011 and 110,000kms so that's 36,000 a year and 3,000km a month. That's a lot of km's I know my insurance premium goes up if I travel over 15,000km a year cos the more I'm on the road the higher chance/risk that something could go wrong.

Just fork out a few grand for a new SIDI motor and forget about warranty cos its expired guardless.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Yes you are still spouting **** you have no idea about. You get the occasional dodgy dealership (like any mechanic, business, etc) and your claim of "Holden don't even put dexos rated oil in as part of the capped price program" is still ####ing wrong. You have found one bad dealership (did you report them to Holden btw, I would) - to claim that all dealerships are like that is simply incorrect. To say that "I'm not saying ALL dealers are shifty" but previously say "Holden don't even put dexos rated oil" is contradictory.

If you're going to say that a dealership is dodgy then say it - don't slather them all with the same brush because many of them work very hard to do the right thing.

Oh and castrol DO make a 5w30 that conforms to dexos2 btw. Google Magnatec 5W-30 C3.

And please note that I never stated dealerships never do anything dodgy (I know of some in my general area that should be stripped of their dealership contract), but I was making a point that your statement that implied all dealerships are dodgy is incorrect. I still stand by that statement.

Before you start slamming everybody here, there have been a number of posts here in the past 2 years from people who have picked up that the dealer had put the incorrect oil in their late model VE that requires the 5w-30 Dexos 1 oil. (Not Dexos 2 oils as mentioned in your post which are NOT specified for these VE engines).. These are the guys that picked it up and reported it here. Most people just would not know and there may be other members here who have picked it up and just not bothered reporting it here.

I bought my New mid 2012 build VE from a large Sydney Northside dealer. About 4 months later I emailed the service manager via the customer service contact I was given and asked what oils they were putting in the 2012 VEs (because these later series 2s are all 5w-30 Dexos 1 specified as is mine.) I sent this query because one of the staff had said something to me earlier that suggested they may not be using the correct lubricants as stipulated by GM in these later cars.
I received a reply back and NONE of the oils they specified they would use in my car were correct. Some of them were not even the correct grade. I posted the reply I sent them on the Forum so everyone here would be aware.

A few months ago I took the car to the same dealer for a regular book service and asked what oil they were going to use in the car suspecting it would still be incorrect even after many months had passed. I was told they would use a 10w/30 or 10w/40 oil.
I told them that was incorrect and that GM had not specified either of those oils for the vehicle and that neither of them were Dexos 1 spec either. Furthermore, it was a condition of the new car warranty that only the oil specified by GM could be used and that was 5w-30 Dexos 1 for my car. I was told "yes we can use those 10/30 or 10/40 oils in the car". I asked for a copy of the statement from GM that indicated that oils other than 5w/30 Dexos 1 were approved? Just more waffle followed to try and snow me. I did not argue and just told them to use the correct spec oil (mobil 1 Dexos 1 5w-30 fully synthetic) that I had brought along with me in the car and that is what the service guys put in the engine.. From now on I will be supplying the oil again for all services because it is now quite obvious that they cannot be relied upon 100% to put the correct oil in the car.

You do not know what all dealers around the country are doing. Further, most customers would not have a clue what oils are going into their cars for the book services because hardly any of them would ever check or ask. They just assume the right thing will be done as I would normally always do.

Your dealership maybe perfectly sound but suspect there just could be more than a few that are not - like mine and the others that were picked up by a few of the forum members here who bothered posting about it - all different dealers in different parts of the country. 5w-30 Dexos 1 oils are not cheap and if certain dealers can get away with using the wrong oil because they have a contract with whomever to supply certain spec oils then obviously some of them might be doing it - like mine admitted they are on 2 occasions - once even in writing.

I would think the vast majority of dealers are doing the right thing but unless people check on them you really do not know what is going on. You should not even have to check either.

I am not going to say anything to GMH about this practice. I will just supply my own oil again for future services done at that dealership. The rest of the oil and filter changes on the car I do myself every 4-5000 kms. That way I always know the correct product is being used.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I think you need to do further research. I'm looking at a document provided by Holden right now that specifies dexos2 as compatible for every Commodore since the VT. So yes dexos2 is suitable for every VE that has ever been sold. You might have found a bad dealer or two but I take exception to tarring every dealer with the **** brush because you have your bashing blinkers on.

As for your comments about not reporting them, perhaps that's why there are still dodgy dealerships. If a dealer is dishonest enough to use the wrong oil, the smart thing to do is not go back, not just take your own oil.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Bloke in the pub once told me he pays the big $ for dealer service because they look after the car and customer better. I near spat my beer out and fell off my chair.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Ive been to multiple Holden dealers near my house and they are all shonky then as none of them use the correct oil, tbh i question if alot of them even know what they are doing when my car comes back from a service with over 1 litre too much oil. I get my services done at a performance shop now, i pay less then a dealer, the correct oil goes in and the correct amount.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Ive been to multiple Holden dealers near my house and they are all shonky then as none of them use the correct oil, tbh i question if alot of them even know what they are doing when my car comes back from a service with over 1 litre too much oil. I get my services done at a performance shop now, i pay less then a dealer, the correct oil goes in and the correct amount.

Oils aint oils!