Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 My10 - Clutch going?

HellSoldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6
Hey all,

I've run into a problem with me VE, it's done over 230k kms. I'm finding it harder and harder to get the gear passed the gate and into gear. First and Reverse seem to be the primary culprits.

I've also noticed that the clutch friction point is getting lower and lower. I had the transmission fluid swapped out recently but that didn't really fix the problem.

Looking at getting a Solid Fly-wheel conversion but I'm having problems finding somewhere good that'll do the job - assuming that it's the clutch that's the issue and not the transmission.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
I was hoping someone would comment as to the cause. Ive got something similar with my SS. I'm thinking mine is due for a fluid change at least and see how that goes. Sometimes to get it into reverse i need to put it into first gear, and second can be a bit crunchy to get into.

But a bit of googling has this pretty much a feature of the tr6060 gearbox in every car they are put into, and it can be sorted by replacing the supposed "sealed for life" oil with something decent. I've got the oil, it's just the getting under the car or booking it in that the tricky bit now haha.

I drove 6 SS's before i bought mine and they all crunched 2nd or 3rd gear.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I was hoping someone would comment as to the cause. Ive got something similar with my SS. I'm thinking mine is due for a fluid change at least and see how that goes. Sometimes to get it into reverse i need to put it into first gear, and second can be a bit crunchy to get into.

But a bit of googling has this pretty much a feature of the tr6060 gearbox in every car they are put into, and it can be sorted by replacing the supposed "sealed for life" oil with something decent. I've got the oil, it's just the getting under the car or booking it in that the tricky bit now haha.

Penrite pro gear 70w75 is what u want mate and an aftermarket shifter can improve things also

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Trouble getting gears in and out of the gate is more likely to be a cylinder issue - particularly with the changing friction point, clutch slips when it's on its way out. Unfortunately for you the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing so it's a gearbox out job. You noticed any drops of brake fluid on your driveway?

Last edited:

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
Penrite pro gear 70w75 is what u want mate and an aftermarket shifter can improve things also
Yep, got two bottles when it was real cheap at repco a little while ago.

I had the brake/clutch fluid changed last service 12 month ago. Didnt fix my issue. Mine isnt leaking anything, not sure about the OP tho.

HellSoldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6

No idea, wear and tear? 230k kms is pretty good for this car heh

Trouble getting gears in and out of the gate is more likely to be a cylinder issue - particularly with the changing friction point, clutch slips when it's on its way out. Unfortunately for you the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing so it's a gearbox out job. You noticed any drops of brake fluid on your driveway?

Thanks for the response!

Nope, no issues with break fluid and the issue is only getting into gear, not getting out of.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So if there's no fluid leaking from the bellhousing or the master cylinder I'd wager the clutch fluid is likely getting past the seal on the piston inside the master or the slave. Because there's not as much pressure on the friction plate the clutch doesn't disengage as much, so the syncros never have a chance to slow down enough to let you get into gear easily.

This seems to be an easy method to identify which one it is: