Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 Service Engine Oil

slackjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6-5spd Auto
Just had the same error come up on my SV6, went into the dealer and he said same as Dr Bob, need new firmware in Dashboard and in Engine Computer.
They did it while I waited, took 5 Minutes for the Dash, and 20 minutes for the ECU, then he had to reset a few things back in the dash.

I mentioned the fuel gauge being wonky and he said the dash firmware would fix it up. He also was able to turn off that annoying beep that is made when the car is running but you are in park without your seatbelt on. Now it only beeps when I go over 20kph without a seatbelt.

The fuel gauge appears to be much better now, it starts to go down straight away after being filled, where before you could do 150km before it left full.

Definitely recomend going in to the dealer.

gargougaflex

My other car isnt hybrid
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SSV Redline Sportwagon + VZ Monaro CV8 M6
same service engine oil warning came up on our sv6 way back @ 54k, got it "fixed" at the 60k service...however she's up to 87k now and it's been coming up since about 80 grand... oil is fine and i've reset it myself but it still comes up..

and i know it's unrelated, but that fuel gauge is useless too..

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
gargougaflex said:
same service engine oil warning came up on our sv6 way back @ 54k, got it "fixed" at the 60k service...however she's up to 87k now and it's been coming up since about 80 grand... oil is fine and i've reset it myself but it still comes up..

and i know it's unrelated, but that fuel gauge is useless too..

CAn you please tell me you dont have chev badges on your SV6.

gargougaflex

My other car isnt hybrid
Reaction score
Members Ride
benzor said:
CAn you please tell me you dont have chev badges on your SV6.

:whistling i wont tell u then :whistling
*hopes benzor doesnt go to the 'post your vz pix' thread*

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
gargougaflex said:
:whistling i wont tell u then :whistling
*hopes benzor doesnt go to the 'post your vz pix' thread*

GARGHHHHH!!!!

WHY WHY WHY?

I'll tell you what, I won't call you a stupid ricer, if you can tell me what in the car is made or designed by Chev.

gargougaflex

My other car isnt hybrid
Reaction score
Members Ride
benzor said:
GARGHHHHH!!!!

WHY WHY WHY?

I'll tell you what, I won't call you a stupid ricer, if you can tell me what in the car is made or designed by Chev.

Few things:
first, ive stated elsewhere in the forums my reasons for removing the holden badging on my sv6.
secondly, Ricers i believe are usually ppl who hot-up asian cars (which are usually 4cyl), i dont believe the SV6 fits under either category.
thirdly, if ur gonna take that angle, maybe we should rebadge our VEs as Beamers since holden stripped one to see how it worked? doubt holden can take credit for "desigining" features they added to VE when they found em in the 5 series...

now, this is completely off the topic of the thread, and i dont wanna get into arguments regarding it.

It's my car and i'll do with it what i like. :)

This is the last post i will say about it.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Basically holden's supplier of instrument clusters farked up with the programming of them, because in some oversears markets the servicing on the car is when it says "service engine oil" and not at regular 15,000 km intervals... But basically they programmed both into some of the early built VZ 6cyl, including my AWD One Tonner...

It is NOT a 2min reset through the dash, its a complete re-flash of the dash's eprom and generally takes less than an hour...

tommo12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Acclaim 6
You wouldn't believe it. The day after the 90k service on VZ acclaim V6 that 'service engine oil' came on. Complained to Holden and was told they needed all day to reset.
Followed advice on here and worked a treat. Took all of 10 seconds.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
hi guys im bout to buy a 05 VZ SV6 which still has the badges on the side and glove box light. i read about this old software. will this have any affect on my SV6? as i too would like to have the latest version so i dont have problems with lights and fuel gauges

nige69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Might be in the wrong thread, but is there a way of determining which software version is installed into your car?

I have a VZ Adventra LX6, and just clocked up 23000k's. I am now getting this "service engine oil" warning as well. I will try the fix mentioned, but would also like to be able to determine if there is a newer version of the software out for the car.