Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap over VY Blaupunkt head unit

Fabfor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi, My original VY Six stacker unit has died and I want to replace it with another factory unit. I believe they are VIN coded? What do I need to do to get the replacement unit working in my car? Thanks

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Buy a new replacement unit and swap it over.
Holmart sell new VY/VZ stereos and they come supplied with the PIN code specific to that stereo.
If the aerial doesn't work after fitting new stereo, you will need a Holden Dealership to run a "Radio Linking Program" for it to work

Fabfor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Buy a new replacement unit and swap it over.
Holmart sell new VY/VZ stereos and they come supplied with the PIN code specific to that stereo.
If the aerial doesn't work after fitting new stereo, you will need a Holden Dealership to run a "Radio Linking Program" for it to work
Thanks for your quick reply Matt. I did look at Holmart but they want $498 for the same model. I have seen second hand ones for $150. If I did buy a second hand one would I have problems getting it to work? Otherwise I might go aftermarket to get Bluetooth/USB etc. Cheers.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a second hand stereo...Considering some of these stereos will be up to 15 years old now
If you're not into the whole doof doof nightclub on wheels audio setup, you can buy a good quality stereo from Supercheap Auto with Bluetooth & USB for around $100 when they have sales on.

Holmarts prices are ridiculous, most of their stock has increased or in some cases doubled in price.......and it seems to have occurred since Holden ceased manufacturing.
For about $100-$150 more than what Holmart are asking you can get a new plug and play double din unit with, Sat Nav, Bluetooth & USB, internet connection capabilities, internal memory space to store up to 20 CD's, reversing camera and a whole host of other gadgetry that can be added onto it.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
I had my factory 6 stack cd repaired when I bought the car about 2 years ago. The bloke that did it was retiring a few days after and there aren't many people that repair them any more. As Matt say's you are probably better off going aftermarket but if you do get a second hand one make sure it comes with the pin code otherwise you have no chance of getting it working. I wanted to keep my car pretty standard hence getting it repaired but if or when it stuffs up again I'll go aftermarket.

Fabfor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks for your input guys. I'm not too fussed about keeping it original, especially if it costs too much so I think aftermarket is the go. Cheers.