Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

swapped a 5.7L for a 5.0L

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
hey there,
just wanting some opinions on a swap i done earlier this month..

I had a 2000 WH ls1 gen3 caprice auto 237ks, trac etc, 6months rego new tyres front shocks control arms, Brand New condition inside and out, i think most of us know the luxury of a caprice so wont go into detail, Completely stock as a rock, So i swapped for a 1995 VS SS (genuine, i checked) manual 209ks 2months rego 18x8"stamfords headers 2 1/2" exhaust new front bar lowered new monroe shocks, springs and tyres all round big sound system cold air induction lip kit resprayed white with glitter metallic 15%tint tuned ecu reco gearbox and diff feels tight as 3.9 ratio lsd (have receipts) its in good nic in and out besides a couple of dents and a stain or 2 on back seat.
Was a straight swap and i think i got a good deal from what i saw the caprice's and vs ss's were going for on gumtree and ebay etc.. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Ps, the ss is so much more fun:) and feels like it goes harder then the caprice...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Absolute bad deal.

Couple mods, OTR and the LS1 would rip
Aftermarket support and mods for LS1 is abundant and cheap

Sorry man, bad deal in my eyes.

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
Absolute bad deal.

Couple mods, OTR and the LS1 would rip
Aftermarket support and mods for LS1 is abundant and cheap

Sorry man, bad deal in my eyes.

True.... the ss's seemed to be more popular and going for more $$ then a stock caprice.
i forgot to mention the ss has gilmer drive too which is more of a wank factor then anything lol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you're happy with the swap then that's all that matters. The vs IMO is a much more aesthetically pleasing car then a wh. Wh's don't seem to be worth much money at all atm, they're about the same value as a vs statesman or caprice.

The biggest difference will be the weight between the wh and the vs. The 5L is quite strong off the bottom but overall it sounds great compared to an ls1 (just my opinion)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Personally, I wouldn't have done it. Going backwards in technology, power and engineering. The LS is probably the most common engine on the planet as far as conversions go so there are a LOT of bolt ons and performance enhancements for it. Don't just think within the borders of Australia. The US has so many options for the LS.

But then if you're happy, that is all that matters as EYY has said.

It takes a bit of coin to get a 5.0L past 300hp, the LS can do it with just a tune and exhaust. I did a VC conversion and unopened hit 360hp with one. No flash bolt ons either, made my own extractors and just had a pod straight on the throttle body and a MAFless tune, that was it.

I used to own a VS, I didn't like it. I would much prefer a WH.

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
I'm definitely happy with the swap as I like the shape and size alot more of the vs then the wh's, and always been a manual fan. I was just thinking more towards the value of each, I did have the caprice up for $3500 at one point and didn't get much interest at all and I've seen a few vs ss's going for 5-6k.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Problem with the WH is it's the LS1 that will forever be tarnished with the piston slap issue. From my searching that seemed to be why they were so cheap no one wanted one and the potential issues they could have. That and they were based off the VT which was nothing special being the first of the new shape with all it's inherent issues.

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
Also heard that the wh has problems with rear main seals going at round 200k and timing chain issues, don't know if it's true just heard it from a few people...?

Gunny458

Reaction score
Members Ride
wm Statesman
I have long been a fan of the red 308 holden V8 but no way does it compare with LS1 in my WH. The WH which I have just replaced with a WM would eat any redmotor for breakfast, not withstanding the extra cubes. One is old superseded technology the other is superseded modern technology I think Holden sorted out the piston slap and ring flutter early in the piece. Whilst I have not really put the WM to the test, I fancy the WH is quicker off the mark by a long shot. Having said that if you are happy then that is all that matters
Gunny 458

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
bet it sounds better than the LS1