Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway Bar Issues

Bitpharked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 ute
Ok guys, i have a VE SV6 Ute that has had a creak at low speeds when turning and riding one wheel over the gutter. I have searched every thread on this with what it might be but have traced it to sway bar links. Now the noise is more on right hand side (driver). So I have replaced the bushes (with the grease supplied) and reinstalled, as well as new link arms (came in a kit). These seem to bolt straight through to metal on both the strut housing and the end of the sway bar. Anyway creaking is still there. I know its something to do with the swaybar or the links as I disconnected the links and drove around the block and not a squeak mounting kurbs or turning etc. Assembled back together and the noise came straight back. Is there meant to be something else between the link pins and the brackets that I have missed. A special washer etc. (The link pins only came with a metal nut) As it stands the link pin is bolted to metal and is done up tightly, would there be enough pressure moving the link pin nut up and down the metal bracket (or end of sway bar) to make that creaking noise. I am going to re clean and re attach the new sway bar bushes again this weekend (I have done heaps of these bushes before) and the only thing i can think off is there is something i have missed with the link pins ( a rubber grommet or sleeve maybe that was not there with the old link pins or the new ones)??? The sway bar bushes were in alright condition before I replaced them, so I am pretty sure i have narrowed down to link pins as cause of noise. Anyone had this before and know how to fix??? Is there a special way of fitting as it looked straight forward!!!. Most link pins I have seen have the bolt and nut running up and down vertically, where these link pin run side ways (or horizontal), so i am thinking as soon as there is force, the link pin connection is sliding up and down in the bracket metal (nut against metal). I have tightened pretty hard, dont want to cross thread the link though.....

Thanks

Bitpharked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 ute
Actually I also just realised that I only greased the inside of the sway bar bushes. and not inbetween the bush and the bracket. :(

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Ok guys, i have a VE SV6 Ute that has had a creak at low speeds when turning and riding one wheel over the gutter.

I have searched every thread on this with what it might be but have traced it to sway bar links. Now the noise is more on right hand side (driver). So I have replaced the bushes (with the grease supplied) and reinstalled, as well as new link arms (came in a kit).

These seem to bolt straight through to metal on both the strut housing and the end of the sway bar. Anyway the creaking is still there. I know its something to do with the swaybar or the links as I disconnected the links and drove around the block and not a squeak mounting kurbs or turning etc.

I Assembled back together and the noise came straight back. Is there meant to be something else between the link pins and the brackets that I have missed. A special washer etc. (The link pins only came with a metal nut) As it stands the link pin is bolted to metal and is done up tightly, would there be enough pressure moving the link pin nut up and down the metal bracket (or end of sway bar) to make that creaking noise?

I am going to re clean and re attach the new sway bar bushes again this weekend (I have done heaps of these bushes before) and the only thing i can think off is there is something i have missed with the link pins (a rubber grommet or sleeve maybe that was not there with the old link pins or the new ones)?

The sway bar bushes were in alright condition before I replaced them, so I am pretty sure i have narrowed down to link pins as cause of noise. Anyone had this before and know how to fix? Is there a special way of fitting as it looked straight forward! Most link pins I have seen have the bolt and nut running up and down vertically, where these link pin run side ways (or horizontal), so i am thinking as soon as there is force, the link pin connection is sliding up and down in the bracket metal (nut against metal). I have tightened pretty hard, dont want to cross thread the link though.....

Thanks

Sorry had to, I kept reading the same line.

|

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check your Strut Bushes. Had similar issues with sway bar - turned out to be 'shot' strut bushes.

Bitpharked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 ute
Cheers for that...no I had replaced the bushes. So anyway today I managed to grease up everthing around the bushes and brackets. I think there was more grease then bush by the time i finished. Put it all back together done up tight and still got the creaks on turns. Double checked i had right diameter bushes as well...... all good!!

Next Paragraph :)

Anyway its defiantly from the right side of the car. I removed the right link pin (which is also brand new) from the car. Drove it around the block, over kerbs etc etc and not a sound. Has me stumped. I did notice though there has been movement from side to side of the sway bar of about 5mm (the grease had been pushed away either side) which I suppose is normal??? Any ideas guys?????? Both link pins went on nicely when I replaced them so i dont think the sway bar is twisted....

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
i have the exact same problem, my sway bar has grease either side of the D bushes too. Let us know if you work it out.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
It could be the lower control arm bush or the caster arm bush. I have some groaning on the front there and I think they are the culprit as i too have changed all the other stuff.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Apologies for that, didn't notice that.
Thanks for that.
All good, maybe someone here can help anyway, No harm done

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
With the car off the ground, secured properly of course ask a friend to turn the steering side to side and listen for the noise.

Did you install the sway links with the correct orientation i.e. up / down and inside / outside?

Changing the sway links and D bushes maybe now highlighted another weakness. Have you checked the strut tops bushes. You can remove the ones in the engine bay and check the actual strut top bushes for wear or being compressed.

RAD1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX commodore
With the car off the ground, secured properly of course ask a friend to turn the steering side to side and listen for the noise.

Did you install the sway links with the correct orientation i.e. up / down and inside / outside?

Changing the sway links and D bushes maybe now highlighted another weakness. Have you checked the strut tops bushes. You can remove the ones in the engine bay and check the actual strut top bushes for wear or being compressed.

Thx mate, i am just doing my routine check. Changing all types of rubber bushing in my VX. Only issue was my previous brackets were square type instead of being D type but no worries i am getting a D type from a wrecker. ✌