Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

system for ute

hbdvysute

Utes the word
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s ute
hey people, just picked myself up a vy s pac ute, to my surprise i found a 4 channel amp hooked up through the original headunit runnin only 2 speakers, how he has done this i do not yet know as i havnt had time to trace the rca's to the source, anyway from my old car i have taken out my kenwood kdc - mp6029 headunit aswell as the kenwood splits, and a 4channel amp.. everything else i sold with the car, so i ask you guys for a ute for some thump what should i look at doing, im thinking possibly another pair of 6 inchs for the rear and a 10 inch sub or i dunno so any help would be thankful

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Depends on how much thump you want. I take it you just want a casual, straight system, nothing too fancy?

I've got the VU ute so you have to ask yourself, do you want to sacrifice some or all of the rear space behind the seats?

NExt thing to do, you got 2x 4ch amps now, with the more powerful one (or if they're the same...) use it for your speakers and perhaps sell the other one to put money towards a D class amp. Perhaps you could use both 4ch amps by running one on your speakers and if you want 2 subs, you can bridge the second amp.

Also with the subs, getting one or two can be plainly down to personal preference. Some people say 1x 15" sub is better than 2x 10" subs and some people are vice versa but it depends on quality and again, preference to your hearing.

Personally, my ute has an all Fusion system. I have 6" splits for the front, 6x9"s in the rear and one 12" sub behind the passenger seat and the amps (1x 4ch and 1x D-Class) and capacitor are behind my seat. Set me back more than say a Pioneer or Kenwood equivilent but I like the brand and the quality is great for me. If I move onto another car in the next few years, I'd like to go back to Alpine or I might stay with Fusion depending on who's got better quality.

Your main concern though is to set a budget and stick to it when it comes to buying time.

Research is invaluable and I don't know who said it but knowledge is power. The more you have it, the more likely you'll end up with something you'll like and enjoy.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Didn't the VY have provisioning for 6x9s in the rear? or was that the BA?

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Methinks BA, only on Premium sound for recollection. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can't remember if the VY ute had 6x9's as standard but then that would prob be for the 6 disc HU option perhaps on SS and special edition models.

Gah! All these new cars! Gotta go back to a car yard and have a look myself.

hbdvysute

Utes the word
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s ute
yeh only some vy utes come out with the 6x9's in the rear like u said the ss and special edition utes.. i was thinkin along those lines, im more of a qulaity person not a quanitity or size person, i dont need the best of everything to show off, i mainly listen to punk screamy music watever u wanna call it and in my old car ihad one 12 inch sub which did the trick nicely cause there isnt much bass in the music just add to the quality of sound, so i was thinkin possibly 2 x 6 inch speakers for the rear coz they will only be on high pass filter anyway, with maybe either one alpine type s or type r 12 inch sub i dunno it depends really on my budget at the time, saying that if i only run one sub a 4 channel amp that is bridged should be more than enough sufficient power to run it once again im not really looking for punchy bass and i would use the stronger of the two 4 channel amps.... but im still really stumped how he had this 4 channel amp hooked up to the vy head unit, i know he has had subs in the tray, because ive seen the power cables goin through to the tray but as i say its a work ute and i need all the space, anyway thanx guys i appreciate it

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Anytime mate.

Just remember, having only half a system can work well too.

I did laps near chapel playing Nine Inch Nails in my GF's Hyundai excel which has got upgraded speakers an average HU and a hand-me-down amp and sub from a project car I worked on yonks ago.

Sounded pretty good :D

R

RUGAME_17

man im running a pair of cadence 6X9's straight of my budget xplod head unit in the back of my ford laser while me wagon is getting fixed. they are joined by a 15" kicker comp sub run by a cadence 2ch amp. the laser is about the size of the cab of ur ute. i got the package for $700 from JB hifi and i have to say it pumps more than enough perfect sound for that car. i dont care what u say u dont need to amp ur speakers especially if u only want a simple stereo. save ya cash from a d-class and run a sub from ur 4ch and hook some 6X9's through ur head unit. it will be all u need for a ute.
a 15" has a greater range of base notes and adds a little more of a massage feel to ur seats than a 10 or 12. personal choice tho. peace

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
4channel amp running 2 subs... i want one of those 4 channels!
sorry just taking the piss...
maybe depending if you like a bit of room you might need to loose the sub idea. a GOOD pair of 6.5inch splits (by good i mean boston nakamichi MB quart ect... not pioneer sony fusion kenwood jvc jl alpine.) and then some of the more serious 6x9's out there mainly aimed at bass. i saw some beefy looking cadence units, dunno if they were good. so if you had them producing the lower end of the spectrum and none (x-overed) of the higher stuff it wont detract from the splits because the treble and mid produced by the 6x9s will be of lower quality than your good splits.
i think that makes sence.

kmbattle

Reaction score
TehFastyOne said:
Personally, my ute has an all Fusion system. I have 6" splits for the front, 6x9"s in the rear and one 12" sub behind the passenger seat and the amps

Hey mate just wondering if you have any pics and or dimensions of your sub box as i want to put a sub in my vz ute. I want my sub behind drivers seat so i can feel the pulsations!!:unsure: