Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 gearbox wobbles

WhiteWhale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 wagon M5
Gearbox wobbles

Hoping someone can help explain what’s happening, my gearbox knowledge is pretty basic so try to be helpful please.

S1 VN V6 wagon. Open diff. Approx 305k km on the clock.

I drive it about 120km a day, open country roads. Mostly 80-100kp/h.

I think the CSB is ok, there’s no speed specific driveline vibes. Feels ok when I push the drive shaft around while under the car.

I don’t know how good the engine and gearbox mounts are, it’s a VN, they always were like a massage chair I thought! The mechanic reckons they’re fine.

Diff has a bit of lash in it, I’ve drained, cleaned and refilled it. Cleared breather of dust etc.

Clutch never slips while driving. Can pick up speed in 3rd and 4th with no probs.

After I got the car, I found out the gearbox had oil instead of ATF. Don’t know how long it had been but I drove it for 6 months on the oil before I checked it. Everything I’ve read up says this is a thing for the T5 world gearbox. The oil was really clean when I dropped it out and Changed it to ATF.

Doesn’t get hot and hard to shift anymore. I can still hear the synchros when going up the gears. Especially 2/3/4.

Clutch has always juddered a lot on pick up from stationary or if I let it out too quick on gear changes.

At low engine revs, maybe 1100-1500 with clutch engaged either in neutral or in gear while driving I get a shake/wobble through the gear stick and clutch pedal. Can feel it through the car seat. Clutch pedal shakes and wobbles away.

Guessing the revs as no tacho but say 10km/h in 1st or 35-40 in 3rd or 55ish in 4th…you get the picture.

Dip the clutch and the wobble mostly goes away or get over the 1500rpm point and it smooths out.

From this info is there anyway to tell what is causing this? I’m hoping to get some idea before handing it and my cash over to someone.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

Last edited: