Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

t56-m12 transmission problems

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
hey guys,

VZ Clubby, ls2 t56-m12 transmission. Just went into town and washed it, on my way home go to put it into 6th and it grinds.

My gearbox got rebuilt 3000k's ago and i am about to do the oil on it this weekend as it was due for it. Does anyone think it could be grinding from **** oil or low oil level? Its not from hard driving as i seriously baby this thing, avergae 12.7L per 100k around town..

I find it very weird for it to suddenly just happen going into 6th at 80km/h as its had no signs of playing up until tonight.

Any thoughts? im going away so won't see the car for 2 weeks so just some input before i get back and suss out some transmission places

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Can help you with what may cause it, I'm assuming a syncro issue, but I has a similar issue with 1st the other night.

Stopped at some lights, light goes green, I go to put it in 1st and it refuses to slot in, gives a grind.

Though my box hasn't been rebuilt.

PS, other thread in LSX mod section is gone as this is not LSX or mod related. ;)

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
Thats cool jesterats least i get some form of answers :)

Went and seen my tuner CSV today. Pete said it could be two things, something along the lines of that a plastic bit on the fork selector between 5th and 6th could be broken or fallen off, or something about the hub between the two could have a chipped tooth but he assumes the syncro will be fine. Its not a big job as 6th is in a different position and he shouldn't have to drop the box out. Something like that, im an auto elec not a mechanic ;p

Its going in on the 25th to get fixed. I am going to in contact with the workshop that rebuilt it in sydney as they say its got 12 months warranty and hope they will atleast cover the costs for parts. Fingers crossed! :(

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Good luck.

How much did the rebuilt cost you originally?

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
Original owner got it rebuilt just before i got it as was grinding going from 6th into 5th but now its the other way around but the box shouldn't need redone again. I dont care if they dont cover the full costs but atleast the cost of the parts and i'd be a bit happier. Giving them a ring monday ;/