Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail light lenses

fenderslash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm & VL HSV Group A
I've been looking around online for a new set of tail light lenses for my Walky (I've read that the VK Berlina ones are the match), and I've found that the price varies a lot from place to place. Does anyone know whether these non-genuine lenses are all made by the same manufacturer? Or if they're not, is there any particular brand/supplier that's higher quality, better fit, etc? I'm happy to pay more for a higher quality item, but if they're all the same I'd be silly not to go for the cheapest.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
I googled "commodore tail lights" once before. And I found a genuine commodore dealer. From what I can remember it was new old stock. Ill see if I can find the number at smokeo/lunch.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I just go to RareSpares, I think they use genuine stock, but their prices are pretty retarded

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Rare spares are a total rip. I wouldn't bother unless uve got the money. I just had a look for that number, I found the website but it wouldnt work. I tried it at smoko and lunch an still wouldnt load.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
any original tail light lenses probably still look OK but will be very weak and brittle, shattering easily when knocked slightly, seems the plastic is effected by the sun, wonder if holden always knew this would happen

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
any original tail light lenses probably still look OK but will be very weak and brittle, shattering easily when knocked slightly, seems the plastic is effected by the sun, wonder if holden always knew this would happen

lol, on a VL - they are 25+ years old....

The bigger crime is plastic headlamps on everything from the VT on. These are lucky to last 5-10 years.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
check out my vl mate, i have the lights your after mine were brought on eBay, new after market items for around $80 from memory.

fenderslash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm & VL HSV Group A
Thanks for the replies. As far as my lenses go, I'm lucky that they haven't faded or cracked - the problem is that the glue has failed on the left side lens and the plastic lens has popped out of its base, so I've decided that before I buy aftermarket ones I'll have a bash at regluing it. If that fails I'll pick a random aftermarket set and hope they're good quality.

uwishn -- I checked out your Walky replica... lookin' good!! Re what you wrote about the body kit being a pain in the ass to fit - I read an interview with John Harvey about building the Walkies at HSV in '88 and he said that the kits were a pain in the ass to fit to the originals even back then! Apparently the VL bodies varied so much straight off the Holden production line that a particular kit would fit on one body but not another, and the kits needed a lot of massaging when installed.