Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail Lights - How Dark

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
"bearing in mind you can get canaried for it"

and if someone rams up your ass and the person behind says they didn't see your taillights, your insurance can be voided aswell.

GLDNVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VQ STATESMAN 5.0
Bax said:
"bearing in mind you can get canaried for it"

and if someone rams up your ass and the person behind says they didn't see your taillights, your insurance can be voided aswell.

Hrmmm you sure man? I had them done in my old VL, and got hit in the rear, and they still had to pay up! :D

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Depends on weather the person wants to fight it or not. sometimes its not worth the effort or the confrontation.

Yes, your insurance can be voided even if you dont have a rear-end collision.

VLs are a slightly different case, the raised section on the tail-light can be pure black, because a particular model (calais or berlina i dont recall) came out like that.
thats how mine are done and they look pitch black. visibility isnt affected so much at night but during teh day it isnt as easy to see the blinker.

just go carefully. any darker than a slight mist is going to be dangerous.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
GLDNVL said:
Hrmmm you sure man? I had them done in my old VL, and got hit in the rear, and they still had to pay up! :D

It depends how tinted they are.

Read your states guidelines on rear lights. You have to be able to see the tail lights from a certain distance, brake lights from further back and see the reverse lights and blinkers from a set distance also.

And most importantly, you can NOT tint over the reflectors full stop. I tinted my rear lights and they were legal, but then got done for the reflectors as they didnt reflect enough anymore :(

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
i tinted mine with that spray on stuff but it only lasts in the weather for about 4-5 months befor it washes off... so i took the leses off and sprayed the reflector bit gloss black. does'nt make the lights real black just darker than std, and i also did it on my front lights and indicators..

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
nizmovk said:
i tinted mine with that spray on stuff but it only lasts in the weather for about 4-5 months befor it washes off... so i took the leses off and sprayed the reflector bit gloss black. does'nt make the lights real black just darker than std, and i also did it on my front lights and indicators..

why would you do your headlights giving yourself less lighting capacity? thats just stupid. people can't see you at night properly or may mistake you for being further away than you are. plus you wouldn't be able to spot someone run out on you as quick. your insurance would be up **** creek if they found out.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
I didnt spray the headlight lens, just the surround... and the vk's have piss poor lights to start with and painting the surround didn't seem to make them worse.