Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailgate Not Locking

Ross Alcorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss Wagon
People,

just worked out my tailgate on VF SS wagon not locking, any ideas. Doing the pull in stuff just not locking with key. Doors and alarm activated ok. Alarm must be not recognizing tailgate lock.

Wendyjb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sportswagon 2017
I have the same problem. The rest of the doors lock, but not the tailgate…?

Wendyjb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sportswagon 2017
People,

just worked out my tailgate on VF SS wagon not locking, any ideas. Doing the pull in stuff just not locking with key. Doors and alarm activated ok. Alarm must be not recognizing tailgate lock.
Did you get any solutions?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
wrong thread.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When you say the tailgate isn’t locking, what do you mean?

There isn’t a lock on the tailgate is there?

What happens if you lock the doors, make sure the key-fob is a long way from the car (like … over 10 metres away), and then try to operate the tailgate?
If the key-fob is within range, the tailgate should open even if the doors are locked.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
What happens if you lock the doors, make sure the key-fob is a long way from the car (like … over 10 metres away), and then try to operate the tailgate?
If the key-fob is within range, the tailgate should open even if the doors are locked.
Provided its a PKES system. If it's not passive and just the standard remote central locking system, the tailgate button on the door should be totally unresponsive. I though it was meant the button on the tailgate still works after "lock" is pressed on the key. Wendyjb you'll need to clarify what system your car has.

Even with PKES though it should only passively open at whatever door you are standing. Many times we'd be in the misuses Equinox and she would tell me I'm driving. So I'd go to the drivers door. Then we'd be like a couple of video game characters while the player is AFK. "Umm dear, I don't need the keys passed to me in order to drive this car. They can stay in your bottomless handbag. But you need to push the dam button on the passenger door so we can get in and drive off.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've did the touch pad a few years ago and actuator only recently. From memory, the touchpad caused random unintentional unlocking. Actuator was causing tailgate not to lock and not release consistently when touchpad was pressed. It would grab, but not draw the tailgate down unless I lifted it back up a few mm. Since I could hear the relay clicking when I pressed the touchpad and I had also replaced it a few years earlier, I just tried an actuator first which fixed it. 10min job. I'm sure there's a better way to make the diagnosis between the two.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
When you say the tailgate isn’t locking, what do you mean?

There isn’t a lock on the tailgate is there?

This is my thinking also.
I don’t think I’ve ever tested it the way Forg has described…just always assumed it has locked with the doors…must give it a go tomorrow.

Edit: Furthermore should not remote start fail to work if the tailgate was detected as unlocked? I know remote start works on mine…would this be another way to test a locked vs unlocked tailgate?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Just went out to the shed and checked mine because i was curious,its locked.(button wont open the tailgate)
I didnt have the key in my pocket and my wagon hasnt been unlocked for about a week,if that makes a difference.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Are keyless entry wagons actually allowing manual unlocking of a locked tailgate within 10m of a key? If so, I'm glad mines not.