Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailgate Not Locking

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Its not 10m. Imagine if your car is sitting in a typical single car driveway. Wide enough that both passenger and driver could comfortably open their door and be able to get out onto the concrete. Now your standing with key in hand, on passenger side lawn, beyond the edge of the concrete driveway. Your 7 year old is being a typical terror and frantically pushing the external button on the passengers door. The car wont let the 7 year old unlock the car because you are too far away with the key. Its that sort of distance all around. But it only works at the closest door to the key (including tail gate).

…should not remote start fail to work if the tailgate was detected as unlocked? I know remote start works on mine…would this be another way to test a locked vs unlocked tailgate?
Remote start still works with a door unlocked. The car just wants the locked button pressed before it will accept the start. You will still have the annoying triple horn when you press lock If anything is open.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Adding to this, there are antennas receivers in each door handle which enables the door to be unlocked when the driver returns to vehicle with the key in their pockets. This of course only applies to PEPS fitted vehicles.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Its not 10m. Imagine if your car is sitting in a typical single car driveway. Wide enough that both passenger and driver could comfortably open their door and be able to get out onto the concrete. Now your standing with key in hand, on passenger side lawn, beyond the edge of the concrete driveway. Your 7 year old is being a typical terror and frantically pushing the external button on the passengers door. The car wont let the 7 year old unlock the car because you are too far away with the key. Its that sort of distance all around. But it only works at the closest door to the key (including tail gate).

Remote start still works with a door unlocked. The car just wants the locked button pressed before it will accept the start. You will still have the annoying triple horn when you press lock If anything is open.
Re remote start…what I was trying to say is that if the tailgate (or any door) had a fault that stopped it from locking when the locked button on the fob was pressed then the remote start would not work?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
That was the case when mine wasn't locked, no remote start. But my definition of unlocked is latched, but not drawn down. Wendyjb's may be drawn down, supposedly locked but still functional. Wendy?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are keyless entry wagons actually allowing manual unlocking of a locked tailgate within 10m of a key? If so, I'm glad mines not.
I said 10 metres just to make sure the fob was waaaay away from the car. I don't believe it's that far.

I can't unlock the passenger's side using the doorhandle pushbutton if I have no fob, and the better-half is on the driver's side with the fob in her handbag. But on the other hand, if you start the car with the fob in the car, it seems you can get the fob a fair way from the car before complaining occurs; I just wasn't sure what those limits are.

Don't forget - keyless entry wagons don't really have a lock in the tailgate. The only way to open the tailgate (apart from the emergency procedures which I can't recall) is to push the electric release button. That button will work if the entire car is unlocked, or the key-fob is near the tailgate. There's no "lock", there's just no way to open the tailgate if that button doesn't do anything. It's not quite like the doors, where the door-handle is a mechanical thing, and there's a separate "locking mechanism" which stops the door-handle from working when engaged.