Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft centering bush

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
so if i get this correct
the front coupling failed allowing the front yoke and bush to come out of the transmission
this normally results in the remains of the tailshaft rotating at vehicle speed until the car catapults or destroys the floor pan
or was this an epic burnout failure

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Just sounds like no precaution has been taken to keep everything aligned as it was when balanced. I did originally think this was in regard to the centre bearing not the additional collar on the rear coupling bush

Andrewsteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss sedan
so if i get this correct
the front coupling failed allowing the front yoke and bush to come out of the transmission
this normally results in the remains of the tailshaft rotating at vehicle speed until the car catapults or destroys the floor pan
or was this an epic burnout failure
I pulled the yoke out myself and no was not a burnout it happened going up my driveway and I instantly stopped.

When the coupling failed and blew off the tailshaft was no longer connected to the transmission so therefore would not of spun any more.

The bush however that one did come out with the coupling God knows how that managed to all I can put it down to is it was going to do it soon anyway judging by the deformed look of it which is probs why it was able to come out but yoke and bush are both in car cleaned and greased up all I gotta do is change my shifter coz that was really screwed even before that so I am taking advantage and putting a new one of those in while im at it

Andrewsteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss sedan
Just sounds like no precaution has been taken to keep everything aligned as it was when balanced. I did originally think this was in regard to the centre bearing not the additional collar on the rear coupling bush
When u say rear coupling bush do u mean at the diff end coz this one was the one at the transmission end so once that came out tailshaft stopped spinning dead in its tracks I have not taken the whole tailshat out at all I've kept the diff end connected this whole time so with saying that how would I need to re align it if it's still bolted to both the diff and the centre of the car