Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft dramas

Ls1calais27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz calais ls1
Hey all, new member & need advice.

Just bought an 05' vz calais ls1
Tailshaft centrebearing has been replaced by a butcher & have moderate vibration from 60kmph & upwards.

I assume uni are not phased correctly or not realinged correctly after splitting shaft. I assume it would be easier to buy another complete shaft?!!

So where can i get complete tailshaft to suit in sydney?

As opposed to removing and rebuilding?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
(1) Describe the vibration i.e all the time from 60k upwards or comes and goes ?
Is it through the steering wheel or the whole car ?
(2) Have you had the car on a hoist and looked at/checked the shaft ?
or are you assuming it is the tail shaft.

If you are without a doubt to it being shaft, the best bet is
off to a tail shaft balancing business.
But don't be surprised if it turns out to be something else.

You might try phoning wreckers for a shaft but of course you don't know what you are going to get.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
it's likely it got tapped or slightly skewed in the vice which put the shaft off balance.

Ls1calais27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz calais ls1
I bought car with worn centre bearing (knock upon hard launch) but zero vibration in car whilst travelling, then my mate (sick **** backyard mechanic) replaced centrebearing for me 8 days into owning car. Now there is a constant car vibration (not steering wheel) from 60kmph onwards. And its a consistent vibration.....

Soo im thinking any complete tailshaft (wreckers or new) is a far better option then rebuild.

Can you guys recommend anywhere to buy tailshaft in sydney?
Also from what ive read the 05vz Ls1 auto tailshafts are quite expensive compared to majority of other commodore variants

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I bought car with worn centre bearing (knock upon hard launch) but zero vibration in car whilst travelling, then my mate (sick **** backyard mechanic) replaced centrebearing for me 8 days into owning car. Now there is a constant car vibration (not steering wheel) from 60kmph onwards. And its a consistent vibration.....

Soo im thinking any complete tailshaft (wreckers or new) is a far better option then rebuild.

Can you guys recommend anywhere to buy tailshaft in sydney?
Also from what ive read the 05vz Ls1 auto tailshafts are quite expensive compared to majority of other commodore variants

Call JJ auto parts.