Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taking the Adventra around the country - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by Pete_perth, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra CX6
    Hi All,

I have a V6 VZ Adventra and I am planning on driving around the country.

I am getting her ready for the trek and want to double check that I haven't forgotten to service something. She's done a 115k kms so she is almost due her major service. I plan to replace all fluids and oils (brake, power steering, coolant, diff's, transfer case, engine oil, transmission oil). Change all filters (oil, fuel, air, transmission), change spark plugs and replace drive belts. I am also putting on some new tires as the ones I have now are almost due to be replaced anyway - thinking Bridgestone Ecopia EP100.

I am also thinking about replacing the radiator. I know these radiators have a history of splitting at the plastic tanks, so I might change it just to be on the safe side. Can't decide to put in a full aluminium radiator or just get another original from Holden.

I will also be carrying with me replacement hoses and tools to do repairs. I don't plan on going off-road and if I do, maybe a gravel road or too. I plan to stay on the sealed roads. I will also be carrying with me a few cans of tire-weld, 20 litres of fuel, 10 litres of water etc (not that I think I will need them). I will also take replacement bulbs and fuses just in case, but again I don't think these will be too much of a problem. I have thought about bringing a replacement fuel pump with me, but since I have to drop the fuel tank to replace it (I think), I am not sure I will be able to do that sort of repair on the road - so I also have organised Australia wide roadside assist.

Any suggestions on what else I should service or items I should carry with me? I will be travelling around for about 4.5 months and not going too far from civilisation so I can't imagine it will be too hard to get help if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer :idea3:

2. ozNick

ozNick Active Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Calais V L98, Lexus LX470
    Are you doing the service and fluid changes yourself?

3. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Done the timing chain? Alloytecs love to chomp them.

I'd be looking at something a little more all terrain-ish for tyres imo. Even tho your planning on only sticking to sealed roads, the sealed roads aren't always the best and imo a tyre more geared for all terrain would be a little tougher and hard wearing.

4. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra
    I'd also strongly consider changing the heater tap and maybe thermostat.

Might be worth taking some good silicone self amalgamating tape and gaff tape as well.

Are your brake pads and discs in good nick?

5. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    ffs - you are doing what - 10,000km???
    meh, no different to a normal interval between services except you will probably have less heat cycles so it'll probably be more reliable. As you have mentioned, just run a normal service and make sure they/you do the normal checks and off you go.

Just make sure you belong to a nationally recognised auto club with roadside service.

Edit: You might wanna knock up one of these: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/pub/128163-pic-day-read-rules-first-post-228.html#post2758011

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. ozNick

ozNick Active Member

Members Ride:
    If you are doing the service yourself here are some notes - cherry pick away:

Power Steering - flush with Dexron and replace reservoir

Diffs - use good quality synthetic 80W—140, HN2040 spec

Transfer case
    • Flush - several times until clean. Fill up drive around the block and drain. Can use Dexron for flushing (but not for final fill)
    • Fill - Recommended is Castrol BOT 338 or Esso MTF—LT—1 . Holden will sell you the oil for $25-30 for 250ml (one fill).
      Alternatives: Royal Purple Synchromax (BOT-338 & MTF-LT-1 compliant) or Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 (BOT-338 compliant)
    • Once full - rotate drive shafts and top up transfer case
    • Do not use Dexron for final fill.

Transmission

Other things
    1. Spare radiator cap
    2. Lower front air intake has no grill - fabricate one from mesh (can be bought at autoparts store) SCA Universal Mesh - Black, 1200 x 280mm - Supercheap Auto Australia
    3. Get a ODBII adapter Bluetooth (for Android) or Wi-Fi (for Apple) and put a copy of Dash Commander on your tablet and use the Adventra v6 skin (thanks to routier1642)

Oh, and have fun on your drive!

HTH, Nick

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  7. Don123

Don123 Guest

I think you're over doing it way too much, you might as well put a brand new engine in it or buy a new car instead.

8. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra CX6
    Cheers everyone,

Appreciate all your suggestions, I will do most of the work with my brother's help, we've worked on cars since we were teenagers. Always a hard call as to how far to go with taking precautions and then not preparing enough. I am not anticipating a lot of problems the car has been extremely reliable.

Big thanks to Nick for your post, really appreciate it.

With any luck I will be back before Christmas, hopefully the car will be too LOL!

9. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    If you have a well serviced car, a lap of the map should not be a problem.
    My tip, take 2 matching spare wheels. If you don't, you will need them. If you do, they won't even get touched. ( Murphy's Law )
    Are you towing anything ?

10. XUV

XUV Member

Members Ride:
    HSV XUV
    I'd just check everythings at the right level, only do the fluids that are due , then do a service at the 5000 kay mark.

If anything take a spare air filter if you're doing alot dusty roads plus an extra spare if dirt roading.

If you're are doing alot of dirt roading , you might want to run steel rims instead of alloys, run 16's and you'll get a good tyre choice.

I think we all want to gear up like we're taking on the apocalypse, but it just ends up 300kg of dead weight guzzerling fuel

Pack the basics plus tow gear, do ongoing preventative checks and maintenance, replace or repair as needed.

It's Oz, just gear up at a major town if you really go offtrack, take an EPIRD or PLB Spot do a good one.

Talk to the nomads as you go, as they love to bestow their knowledge on people.

A UHF Radio would be a good addition.

Are you starting in Perth and which way are you going ? post pics.

11. Loaded Dice

Loaded Dice .... Lets roll.

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV Redline
    You are over thinking it I think, if your car is normally properly maintained, that should suffice. Having an extra spare tyre or a good puncture kit to DIY is a must, as with some basic spares like globes, fuses etc. Anything you need out of the city areas will cost you big $'s and time to get it, so its easy to replace stuff like this that is handy to have with you.

I would be thinking more along the lines of, how you are going to stop your petrol cap being broken off and tank drained. Personally, in this instance, you are better off having one of those anti syphon coils in the neck of your filler pipe and NOT having a lockable cap, as this way, no damage required to get the cap off, and no way to get the fuel out. Also having a sticker on the inside of the flap stating "OPEL FUEL ONLY" may discourage the little buggers right off the bat. Sniffing is a big problem, especially in NT and remote SA.

Any time you stop to set up camp near a town, pack everything away when you go on little trips, even to the pub for lunch, or expect to buy a new one when you return.

Water, carry at least a 10L cask just in case you break down, to keep hydrated.

If you do break down, NEVER LEAVE YOUR CAR and wander off looking for help. 1. parts of your car will be stripped and the rest torched. 2. It is a lot easier to find you if you stay with it. Go to a fishing supply store and get a couple of flares, if you are stuck off the main track, there are always planes flying about to get the attention of, dont rely on your phone, see next points.

Use faceache or similar to keep people posted of where you are going, your ETA, and again when you get there. You used to have to call the next cop shop along the way to do the same, but lots easier these days with social media.

Look up your carriers mobile coverage map before you go, there simply is no service at all in 90% of Australia. 95% of the population have mobile coverage, but only 10% of the land does.

Aboriginals out of the cities and in the small towns and camps are harmless, don't be afraid of them, be polite and so will they. They are very quiet and shy people, until they get on the grog and they are the exact opposite. If you are ever feeling threatened, raise your voice, they do not like confrontation or being spoken to loudly, they will generally retreat, unless pissed, then its on. Also great wealths of knowledge of springs, gorges and off the track things to see, fishing spots etc. Winnie blue is the best currency to use here ;)

Be aware that it is illegal to take alcohol into some areas and the cost is everything you have if caught, including your car and its contents, especially in the NW of SA, very strict.

The Mrs and I went on a 6 month working holiday around remote areas of Australia, and came home 8 years later, loved it out there, I'm sure you will too ;)

12. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
  13. routier1642

routier1642 Member

Members Ride:
    2005 Adventra LX6
    The only thing I didn't see on that list is a spare pair of accessory drive belts.
    The AWD version of the Alloytec uses 2 belts, not one big serpentine belt like normal Alloytecs, so it may be hard to find a replacement in Woop Woop if you break one.
    I've taken to carrying a pair just in case.

Sounds like a great adventure!
    Good Luck!

14. kiwicon

kiwicon Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    Roo bar???

15. routier1642

routier1642 Member

Members Ride:
    2005 Adventra LX6
    Oh, 2 more ideas - both of which I normally carry anyway.

1) A JUMP START PACK. These can be had for $100+ from Supacheap Auto & other places. I just got a $90 cheapie from ALDI. So far, I've used it 4 times - twice when I flattened my battery doing electrical stuff (I have a lot of accessories in my Adventra), and 2 other times where I was able to help out people who were stranded. It's so quick & easy you'll never want to use jumper cables again. If your battery goes flat in any circumstance, this is the best answer. No need for jumper cables or other motorists. Remember, you can't push-start an Adventra!

SCA Jumpstart 900 AMP Heavy Duty Brand NEW Super Cheap Auto | eBay

2) A FIRE EXTINGUISHER. $10-$30 that you may wish you had spent. There is no substitute. I've never had to use mine, but it's nice to know that it's there.

Fire Extinguishers/Safety - Supercheap Auto Australia

16. ozNick

ozNick Active Member

Members Ride:
    I'm all for servicing at correct intervals, however doing it earlier in some cases is advantageous.

The 5 speed 5L40e in the Adventra I would not leave until 150k, mine was black and I wished I had serviced and flushed it at 100k, or even earlier.

The transfer case in the Adventra is filled for life, but with only 250ml of oil I am not convinced. The oil on mine came out filthy and I had to do 3 flushes to get it clean. I will be changing mine more regularly from now on.

The front diff on the Adventra is not a common item and easy to service (as is the rear) so changing the oil in them is good insurance. I added Nulon G70 to mine as well but this is optional.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  17. XUV

XUV Member

Members Ride:
    HSV XUV
    Take a drone

18. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    with all the suggestions so far you will also need a trailer and roof racks!