Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tappets...

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
would noisy tappets be silenced with a rocker and rod change?

my engine;s making a tapping noise that's proportionate to the revs and load, coming from the driver's side rocker cover, just behind the alternator (i think, mate has also told me the same)..

not losing any power etc, just annoying,

if they are left alone what will happen
if they need replacing how much would that be
if the engine needs opening, would changing the rockers and rods solve the prob as well as pick up some extra horses and foot pounds?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How often do you change the oil and filter.Try some fresh 20w50 oil and a new oil filter and add some lifter free up additive like wynns brand or similar..The lifters can make a tapping noise when they get gummed up,usually caused from the oil and filter not being changed regularly.The lifter free up additive helps remove this gum and crud from the lifters and their bores etc.If you do use this additive make sure the engine gets a good rev out to get the oil circulating through everything at its maximum pressure,that way everything gets a good cleanout.(only give the engine a good rev out if the noise seems to improve and quieten down after the oil change and adding the additive.Reving an engine that has a rattle is not always a good thing to do to it,it might not be lifters ,it might be something more critical like a bearing,if the oil change ,filter and additive make no difference at all to the rattle,then dont rev it too hard at all until youv'e investigated it further)

Last edited:

chez00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 efi
Changing rocker arms and pushrods won't give you extra power, it'll just return it back to normal unless you get roller rockers or whatever. Check and change your oil before you do anything else. Your lifters may be starved for oil or have gunky old stuff blocking them - if that's the case (and it's been happening for a while), you'll need to replace them too (or repair them if you know what you're doing). Pushrods generally don't need replacing unless the tips are flogged out.

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
are you sure its not an exhaust leak

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
I change the oil and filter every 8000kms, using valvoline premium XLD 20W50 and ryco z154 filter, my last oil change was around 3000kms ago (i average around 1000kms a week).
I'm not sure it's an exhaust leak but the tapping seems to come from just behind the alternator.

it's an annoying tapping sound.. not losing performance/economy (500-600kms/59L tank in w.syd)

if i was going to open the engine up, i'd get the 1.98 rockers and the pushrods.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the oil is fresh, then as I mentioned previously,try a lifter free up additive.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
tried the addittive, apart from making the engine a little quicker to rev, didn't change anything...

took it to a mech.. turns out it was a leaking exhaust manifold gasket.. an $80 job... sweet