Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tapping noise coming from engine bay

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Thanks for replying.

My VS has about 197,000k's on the clock. My tapping noise is different from yours. You can't hear my motor tapping/ticking on idle. It's when the revs get up over 2000k that you hear it, and it increases in speed with the revs. Its actually quite loud once the motor has warmed up.

Im going to try Penrite HPR30 - HPR 30 - Penrite Oil

astormsau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II
I had mechanic do the same thing, was changing the CAS and left the fan connector of, being winter I didnt notice it as I didnt do much stop/start driving. Anyhow when I noticed it the temp was hovering around 3/4 on the guage, the car gurgled and spat out some coolant and took about 1L of water in the radiator once she had cooled down, but it did no damage to the motor that as noticeable. I took it back to the mechanic who admitted the fault, pressure tested the cooling system and did a compression test on the cylinders and said it was fine. So my theory is that unless it gets right up near the red, that kind of temp shouldn't upset it too much.

Drew

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Yeah astormsau, my temp never hit the redline.

But around the same time ive had this tapping noise coming from the "bottom end".

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Krilnik, i can relate to the tapping sound only when the motor is warm in my VR V6, where as when its cold the sound isnt there. Im not sure what the tapping sound is though, I service it every 7000k's. How many k's on your car? mines on 260000k's.. Dont use oil additives. Try the Penrite 20w60 its the "extra 10" one.

I have just uploaded a video on youtube showing the weird sound coming from the engine. Would appreciate it if anyone could let me know what they think is making the weird sound.

YouTube - VR Commodore knock/ratlle
Cheers

that sounds like the drive belt tensioner/pulley to me mate.

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
FYI the bottom end is just going to get worse and worse, source a 2nd hand engine roughly you can pick up a wreckers one for a couple hundred which is what 5 oil changes worth?

When **** hits the fan and you don't have alternative transport you will be stressing and spewing that you didn't find a sution beforehand.

Let it be a lesson learnt by not leaving things just pass by, like the valuable lesson you learnt by thrashing the car with low oil, hence the reason for your bottom end knock.

eggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v8 wagon
Help me please

i have a vr v8 wagon and it is makeing a taping noise dose any one know what it would be i think it is the roller rockers as they are loose can any one help me out with this thanks ????????????

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
original poster - this sounds like a big end bearing job.

recently overheated my engine & killed it (it was tapping on start/low revs - fine on cruise idle / off the stall converter then it died spectacularly) - im now looking for new kickass radiator after rebuilding and adding a s/c

Last edited:

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Yeah I'm still cruising it to work everyday, just waiting for it to blow up.

Jahwah

Jamie91
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
How much did it cost to rebuild your engine adept?

brend94vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore executitve, manual vn executive
have u tried "stop tappet noise"? goes in with the oil might do the trick, i used it with mine, i had tapping noises as soon as i turned the car on