Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tapping noise inengine

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by willy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. willy

willy New Member

Members Ride:
    vs ute
    i took my car to holden cause of a tapping noise in engine, they said that it was internal and that they had to take part engine apart, they also said it sounds like lifters and cam shaft. and said it was probably better getting a reco or 2nd motor.

my car has 280k on the clock and was wondering how much it would ost to replacae lifters and cam or is it etter 2nd motor replacment.

thanks

2. Famine

Famine New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Berlina V6
    Could be the injectors making that noise. Try running some Nulon Injector cleaner through the fuel tank and run it around for a while and see if that gets rid of the noise. For $10 a bottle its worth a try.

3. boojak87

boojak87 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS 5.7L
    Also check fault codes. At that age, most likely a few sensors have lost the plot! I'd start with Knock Sensors, as they were gone on mine and caused pinging issues, where i'd get constant ticking noise when accelerating even the slightest amount.

Good luck,
    Boojakz.

4. Clacker

Clacker New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec Series II
    Does the noise go away as the engine warms up?

Try putting in a bottle of lifter free and go for a long highway drive (i went 400kms and it fixed mine....$70 of petrol might just solve it)

Either way, if you can establish it is just lifters, I wouldn't get a recon because of that. A guy at work has a noisey lifters and its been like that for over 100k

Clacks