Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tax Tips

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Well i dont really have any.... But do you.

Well its tax time and theres all those little things you can claim and ways of getting a better return. Anyone like to share there (legal) tax tips to help maximise peoples returns. Being a student again i can claim all my stationary items, plus my laptop. Would be interesting to know if i could claim my net connection as i do stuff online at home too. I will also be claiming laundry powder for washing my cloths too as where i work now wont wash and fold my uniform:supersad:.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
I used to have an income protection policy with my personal superanuation which was tax deductable. I would get $100 back just from that. You can also claim your uniforms as long as they have the company logo on them. You will of course have to have paid for the uniforms yourself to claim for them though. If you work out doors, you can claim for sunglasses and sunscreen and a hat. Keep all receipts for work related items/expenses as you may be able to claim those as well. I hope this helps

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I always ignore the Tax free threshold, and pay tax as if it was my second job. That means i pay more ptax per pay packet, but I always get a return every year, instead of a bill.

The Tax Free Threshold is that first 7 grand you earn, that you pay no tax on

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
claim work related expenses, with proof preferably, but sometimes up to approx $300 can be claimed without receipts, except if u deliberately try to claim $290 on "cleaning your work uniforms".
my grandfather, a retired accountant once said that because im a shareholder, any money i spent on train tickets getting to a shareholder meeting (AGM) i could claim.
Union/association fees are deductable i think??

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Tax tips? Bring Vaseline :p

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim

Well its tax time and theres all those little things you can claim and ways of getting a better return. Anyone like to share there (legal) tax tips to help maximise peoples returns. Being a student again i can claim all my stationary items, plus my laptop. Would be interesting to know if i could claim my net connection as i do stuff online at home too. I will also be claiming laundry powder for washing my cloths too as where i work now wont wash and fold my uniform:supersad:.

i didnt know you could clam that sort of stuff, can u claim textbooks?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
i didnt know you could clam that sort of stuff, can u claim textbooks?

certainly can

lol @ danja

and yess union dues are tax deductable too, dont forget them. Your relevant union will usually send you a form with the relevant amount you can claim.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i bought an eee (netbook) laptop in oct last year and have the receipt.
i was a full time student at the time, didn't study first semester this year, but am going back this (2nd) semester.
all i need is the receipt, or do i have to prove i need/used it for uni?

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
boilermakers are the only trade that can claim just about unlimited sox.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

i bought an eee (netbook) laptop in oct last year and have the receipt.
i was a full time student at the time, didn't study first semester this year, but am going back this (2nd) semester.
all i need is the receipt, or do i have to prove i need/used it for uni?

I would check that you can claim a laptop etc as a student. It is not used to generate income so how exactly could it be a deduction?