Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tax Tips

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
I would check that you can claim a laptop etc as a student. It is not used to generate income so how exactly could it be a deduction?

i was just going by what the other dude said.
that said, textbooks aren't used to earn an income, more to train to earn an income.
but yeah, i'm not about to claim something on tax without doublechecking it's legal

Last edited:

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
If you have kids, you can claim a notebook/computer, and your internet because they pretty much these days need it for schoolwork, up to something like $1500 per child, so with 2 kids you could claim the years internet and a new notebook.

I know my mum is claiming the household internet connection because my little brother and sister have to use it for assessments and assignments etc.

when i worked for maccas i had to have a pen, so i claimed stationary.

If you drive anywhere during work hours for work if you document reason and kms you can claim them (eg: going to someones house to set up a set top box at 4 in the afternoon) claim kms to and from the location.

umm... travel, so if you drive to sydney from canberra for a trade expo work said you should attend, claim the kms and if you stay over in a hotel claim that too, oh and food while youre there.

claim shoes/workboots if you have to buy them but uniform besides that is provided, you have to wear shoes to work.

most importantly.... KEEP RECIEPTS! without them you can only claim what might be a small percentage of what you actually paid. this year im keeping a notebook in the car and writing everything i do down.

and after all that, if you doubt being able to claim something, get an accoutnant to do your tax, then next year you can claim what he cost to do your tax return! lol.

Last edited:

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
boilermakers are the only trade that can claim just about unlimited sox.

Bahahaha so true

As for my tax tips never rip of the goverment they will rape you back but a mate of a mate of a mate has a group of mates all in the same trade and they pool there tax receipts and each of them clam each others tools ect one year they got 6k + each

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
notebooks can be claimed for tax time as a student, but i think its only the "depreciation" of your notebook, so you might get like $100.

Since when? Sure a student won a case to deduct stationary due to receiving austudy or whatever the heck it is, as a rule though, unless the course you are doing is related to your employment(most students are not employed int he field they are studying), you cannot deduct a thing or depreciate a laptop...

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
you cannot deduct a thing or depreciate a laptop...

could by why i wrote i THINK , apologies for the mistake and ill correct it now......:thumbsup:

EDIT: its just dawned on me when mum claimed her notebook she works in aged care and she was doing some aged care certificates for work, therefore work related.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
well Minux most students i know of (ie appretices) are all employed in the relative field they are studying, which seems fairly obvious.
Having been a student before you can absolutely most definatly claim books and stationary very legally and depreciation on your computer and by the sounds of it i may be able to claim my net connection too. You can also claim you travel to tafe aswell, not sure on what the details were but my agent aways used to claim that for me and i will be doing so this year too.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
If you have kids, you can claim a notebook/computer, and your internet because they pretty much these days need it for schoolwork, up to something like $1500 per child, so with 2 kids you could claim the years internet and a new notebook.

I know my mum is claiming the household internet connection because my little brother and sister have to use it for assessments and assignments etc.

Just a note guys be careful on this, not all families are eligible, I think you need to be receiving family tax benefit part a or some stupid **** like that, it is definately means tested, I know because I was pissed when I read we are ineligible, thats labor 4 ya! :realangry

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
When I was studying full time and working in a related field, I was paying my uni fees up-front, and was able to claim them as a work-related education expense, which ended up scoring me about $1,500 extra on my tax return.

I got a stern letter from the tax office after that to the effect of "we're watching you!", but I got my money :)

The key thing is really to go through the ENTIRE eTax system step-by-step, and read each part to see if it applies to you. It is a very long and dull thing to do, but once you've done it the first time it becomes quicker next time. The built-in help in eTax is also quite good, and with perseverance you'll usually be able to figure out what the hell they're on about.

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
i thought the education expense tax deduction was for primary and secondary only? and in relation to work-related education, would that only apply to if you are self-employed with your own ABN?