Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temp Gauge Rasing and Dropping??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series III 1999
hey guys recently have been driving around n temp gauge has been going up to red then dropping and staying cool, just got a shift kit with corvette servo done today and straight away was up in the red marks, and old mate said coolant was leaking but dunno from where, drove home checked it nothing leaking? mate said it could be the radiator cap, some is leaking

Last edited:

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
'some is leaking or some ****'?

temp going right up, then dropping down indicates to me that your cooling system isnt bled properly of air. So you could try bleeding the cooling system

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Agreed with the above, could have an airlock in your system that is sending a false reading to your temp gauge.
Give it a bleed and see how she goes..

9C1pack

Reaction score
make sure the heater is set to on, idle it with the radiator cap off until it burps the air out, then top up and repeat until it the level is stable (can take a while) put rad cap on and test drive.

pendles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
if there was air in the system wouldn't it just stay hot and not drop? :s
sometimes the waterpumps turbine, propeller can corrode and at lower speeds it doesn't spin fast enough to flow fresh coolant around.
when at higher speeds the pump has more drive, thus more flow despite corroded propeller.

if that's what happens, cools Down at higher speeds vice versa. then it may be that

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Thermostat may be only opening when getting REALLY hot, i would replace it for sure, surprised no one has mentioned that

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
^^^ Could be onto a winner here...
I remember when I bought my VS the thermostat had been removed, I'm guessing the old owner wanted it to run cooler...