Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

temp issues ?

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
Hi all, have a question regarding normal ?? engine operating temp. Story is car ( stock standard 95 VS 3.8L) temp had always been at 1/4 on the gauge at normal op. temp. Last week had to replace bottom radiator hose, so also gave radiator a quick flush with hose at same time. Fitted hose, refilled with coolant, ran car a few times to get rid of any air locks etc, all good, no leaks, no loss of coolant etc. So last few days daughter has reported that temp gauge has been going from 1/4 to 1/3 when driving, then will move to 3/4 pretty quickly when stopped eg at lights... then fan kicks in and it then lowers a bit then back to 3/4 and so on... then returns to 1/3 when driving again !
Is this normal ?:confused:

lukel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Did you bleed the system from the bleed screw on the thermostat housing?
Sounds like there may still be a liitle air in the system

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
I agree with lukel. Did the cooling system about 3-4 months ago. Sounds like air in the system. Put the car on a steep driveway and undo the bleed screw on the thermostat housing until coolant comes out. I did it a few times in the week after doing the car just to make sure.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Definitely sounds like there is air in the system. Turn the heater on and bleed it out with the bleed screw and top up the overflow bottle after and it'll be fine

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm fairly sure that there is no air left in it, the rad is full to the top and the o/flow bottle is normal...but I will try the bleed screw and let you know how it turns out over the next few days. cheers

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Is the low speed fan running when at 1/4 or 1/3 of the temp gauge?

From ur description only the high speed fan is coming on when reaching 3/4 temp. Id be checking wither the relay, fuse or test the low speed fan pins to see if its not open circut.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I bleed mine for 3 days every morning when I get to work with the heater on the 3rd day no air.

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
thanks ephect, it's only running the high speed fan... where is the relay / fuse located for the low speed fan ?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I know the relay is under bonnet in the box next to the battery, from memory the fuse is in there too.