Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temperature Gauge/Overheating

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
I've got a series 2 1993 VP Calais and the temp gauge is playing up, I would be driving and it would randomly go hot and the temp gauge light would come on, although the car is not overheating at all, it would then just go back to normal after a minute or so.

Any ideas of what is causing this? I replaced the thermostat recently because mine was stuffed and it kept overheating, since then the car has been fine apart from the temp gauge going to hot randomly.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
the cooling system bled properly? if not give that a shot. otherwise, it could be the inlet manifold gaskets. i had this problem with my vp and it was sucking up all the water and overheating and then it would be fine.

George

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
the cooling system bled properly? if not give that a shot. otherwise, it could be the inlet manifold gaskets. i had this problem with my vp and it was sucking up all the water and overheating and then it would be fine.

George

That's just releasing the screw on top of the pipe that goes into the manifold right?

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
^^^

the left side hose goes into thermostat houseing that has the bleed screw .. yes ..

also leaving your heater on will help get more air out ... so let that warm up ..

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Heater on full, start the car, let it warm up, undo bleed screw, keep topping rad up an squish the rad hose til liquid comes out the bleed screw, once it does it's bled properly

Cheers
Mat

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Heater on full, start the car, let it warm up, undo bleed screw, keep topping rad up an squish the rad hose til liquid comes out the bleed screw, once it does it's bled properly

Cheers
Mat

I'll give that a go when I get home and see how it goes, thanks mate.

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Okay, as of last night my car has been overheating, when it gets to hot the radiator will start making loud clunking noises, I've washed out the radiator a few times, bled it a few times, when I undo the radiator cap the water won't shoot out, instead it will come out in clunks, even after I've bled it and got all the air out, it will still clunk and make noises, I don't get it.