Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

that annoying ring from the idler pulley !!! how do i get did of it?

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Well doing a major service today, anyways

for a long time now, i've had that annoying ringing sound coming from the idler pulley above the aircon, only rings in D.

heard alot of vs and vt ecotecs with the same problem, sitting at the lights.

ive tryed replacing that pulley with a brand new holden one, no fix. But its definetly that pulley that makes the noise.

then i tryed replacing the belt, and the noise sort of went away, but 5months later its back.

theres got to be a way to get rid of the noise, and im sure its a common problem with vs vt ecotecs

let me know if anyone has experienced the same here, and if you've been able to get rid of the noise.

only other thing i can think of it trying an aftermarket pulley :?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id try replacing the bearing in the tensioner pulley and the 2 idler pulley bearings.The bearings are around $8 each from a bearing place.Mine is heaps quieter now.It didnt have a ringing sound though,more of a buzzing type of sound.Also some pulleys are plastic, the bearing cant be removed from these type of pulleys,they are a throw away item once the bearing gets noisy.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Didn`t want to start a new thread are Gates pulley any good?

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
I have got the exact same noise. When I replaced my water pump recently i've found that i've got 2 stuffed idlers. One of them in particular is really bad. Got 3 new ones today. 2 were $22 each and the other one was $27. The type I got are the metal serviceable type, but the ones that will be removed from the car tomorrow are all plastic. Also got a new gates belt for $25.

Cheers!

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
The bearings in the original pulley on mine were stuffed and I replaced it with the serviceable type - that is when the noise started. Replacing the belt reduced the noise a lot, but getting rid of the large metal disc between the bolt head and the pulley also helped. I still get some noise, but not too much.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
I spray a bit of silicon spray onto the belt while the engine is running, and that takes the noise away. It comes back after about a month, but another spray fixes it again. Not a long term solution, but it's cheap and effective!

Sharpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp S1 Exec
Need to replace the whole arm which is the tensioner. Its lost its tension so the belt slips for a micro second causing that noise. Best to buy new from a dealer.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Also, check the water pump for movement. If it has slop in the bearings it will make this noise. I've just recently replaced my waterpump and found that the new one was of very low quality and has excessive bearing play which causes an imbalance and makes a little noise.

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
thanks for the ideas guys,

its definetly the idler pulley right below the coil pack..

thing that gets me is ive replaced it and it still makes the sound... little spray of silicone spray and it stops, for a day! then starts again.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Is there any bearing movement in the idler pulley?