Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Australian Top Gear Thread

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
It was designed as a power circuit by Lotus test drivers and engineers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The UK track? It seems more powerful to me, alot of corners involve no lifting and most of the corners are corners where it's hard under brakes and then floor it again, not so much sustained acceleration.

The Australian track just seems really slow all the way through.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The track is purely so you get a comparison on cars, doesn't need to be a particularly fast track but I do agree the camera angles are crap.
The HSV v FPV was crap, should of been a like comparison V8 vs V8.
I would also like to see some more Holden vs Ford stuff but more practical to the majority buyer, ie: smaller cars, family sedans, etc

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
the comparison between the hsv and fpv was crap, however they got the right cars.

Airstrike, they cant compare the front runner for HSV (performance) and the GT-P seeing as the GT-P's performance is average compared to the F6.

everyone knows that Fords new v8's are crap and that their 6's are awesome.

rest of the show was alright, good enough to make me keep watching it.

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
Its a wrong and biased comparison. HSV V8 vs FPV L6T. On one hand you got a atmo dynamite which will launch off with its massive torque and eat those with lesser torques or weight-to-torque ratio cars. On the other hand, you got a humble L6 with Turbo that's capable of eating V8s with proper tuning but has turbo lag if the combinations weren't done right.

Obviously its well known that when Ford had L6T and V8, customers opted for L6T probably because of fuel economy and what not, but then guess what.. it has turbo, and that turbo can be tuned to eat V8. Some rumors were floating around saying Ford had to retard the L6T because it was hurting their V8 sales. Obviously none the wiser, customers who knew could tune their L6T to be just as good as their V8.

It is not an equal ground comparison, who cares if Ford V8 was crap. The show made it look like as if Ford was evidently better because of its handling characteristics as the authors noted. Which is bloody obvious if you asked me... and then both enjoyed driving Ford because both of them sat in it fanging the car out leaving HSV out of the limelight.

They came to their conclusion, both were good.. why? because you can't compare L6T with V8. V8 is heavier than L6T but has more torque, but L6T has that nimble weight loss which equated to more fun than hard handed steering on corners at high speeds.

Not that I hate Ford but honestly I cannot see how this could be an equal comparison. Its like I might as well compare Holden Barina and Ford Focus (5 banger version), but I can't come to a conclusion yet I prefer the Holden Barina because its more nimble with handling as opposed to Ford Focus. Would you think that would be a right combination?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What's an L6T?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
be honest

WHO HE **** WATCHES TOP GEAR FOR GOOD CONSUMER ADVICE

tguk compared an evo8 against a lambo murcialago

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
What's an L6T?
Whooops, I got too technical, In-Line 6 cylinders turbocharged. Its the way the engine is made and the pistons are placed.

L6 :- In Line 6 cylinders
V8 :- Vee 8 cylinders
H6/B4 :- Horizontal 6 cylinders/Flat 4 cylinders (literally the same thing just different naming conventions).
W16T :- W 16 cylinders turbocharged.
V6S :- Vee 6 cylinders supercharged

(edit) I hardly watch for advice, I just enjoy the sort of atmosphere generated with TGUK.. but TGA is rotten. Comparing Top Gear, Fifth Gear shows as such against American/German counterparts, the Brits have more sarcastic but a nice approach. They (Brits) fang the car out, make it do various stuff (like what a car is really capable of doing) apart from just cruising around here and there and some talks, some pictures and that's it.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 vs Lamborghini Murcielago would have been a biased comparison but because on one hand you have Japanese sports car and on the other hand you have Italian luxury sports car.

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Whooops, I got too technical, In-Line 6 cylinders turbocharged. Its the way the engine is made and the pistons are placed.

L6 :- In Line 6 cylinders
V8 :- Vee 8 cylinders
H6/B4 :- Horizontal 6 cylinders/Flat 4 cylinders (literally the same thing just different naming conventions).
W16T :- W 16 cylinders turbocharged.
V6S :- Vee 6 cylinders supercharged

(edit) I hardly watch for advice, I just enjoy the sort of atmosphere generated with TGUK.. but TGA is rotten. Comparing Top Gear, Fifth Gear shows as such against American/German counterparts, the Brits have more sarcastic but a nice approach. They (Brits) fang the car out, make it do various stuff (like what a car is really capable of doing) apart from just cruising around here and there and some talks, some pictures and that's it.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 vs Lamborghini Murcielago would have been a biased comparison but because on one hand you have Japanese sports car and on the other hand you have Italian luxury sports car.
Nah not technical mate, your just the only person to ever call it that..........always been a I6T to everyone I know.....including Ford.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I've heard it called L6 before in some old manuals etc, goin back a long way tho lol.

As mundane as it may seem i reckon they should stick to locally available cars only and leave the rest of the world to the UK boys, who really gives a toss about astons porsches etc. give us local topics make the show unique to and for Australia. My 2c Can't please everybody all the time lol