Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Fitness Thread

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Try stretching a bit more before and through your workout. If that doesn't work then you might have a salt deficiency and need to eat more salt. Do you eat alot of salty or processed foods?

Give you a hint..

Warm up, rotate all the muscles and joints but please DO NOT stretch your muscles either before or during a workout. Stretching is tearing. You do not want to pre-tear a muscle before a workout. You tear them while you are training them. Post workout you should take ten minutes out to stretch and really aim to get deep into the muscle. The stretch post workout helps in muscle repair and will allow better training results over an extended period of time.

Even if Ed doesn't have much sodium in his diet, i'd be more inclined to look at training load and food intake before looking into things such as sodium intake.

In other news. Getting back into training after two months of having a lot of health issues and putting on 5kg (doctors orders to completely stop activity and was put on a higher carb diet to aid in recovery from sickness). As a PT, it's been embarrassing, but tonight is going to be my first hard hitout after spending the last few days ensuring my cardiovascular system has been given some cycles of steady state cardio and HIIT, gauging where I currently am compared to where I was a few months ago.

Shouldn't take more than a solid two months to get back to the 70kg I was (I'm 5'5) and get back to a few other lifting goals I was hitting before being struck down.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Quick update. i have bought my shake powder today (went with Musashi - Bulk mass gain protein blend) chocolate. I guess getting the right shake will be a hit and miss process but it cant hurt . The recomended serving for this is 60g with 300ml of water within 30 minutes of finishing my work out. Should this be adjusted based on my weight or no?

only in so far as your weight forms part of your macro & calorie requirements -

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
g'day guys

i posted a while ago about getting fit and ive turned not only my diet but life style around, but im sure there are things i can improve on, as im looking at doing a 12hour enduro on the motorbike in march! i need every bit of fitness going for me as possible

currently my diet is-
no soft drink, water only
breaky-
6-7 weat-bix, 1 spoon of sugar and normal milk
smoko-
1 tub of yogurt, 1 vegimite salada, banana
lunch-
2 vegimite sandwhichs, apple
dinner-
usually 3 sasuages cooked in a gorge formen grill, peas,carrot,spinach,mashed patato,beans

i ride my push bike too and from work, about 15minutes of uphill riding of a morning ( love the trip home , so easy ! ) 5 days a week i ride to the gym ( about 10 minute ride ) and have 1-2 hour sesions working on certain body parts, by the end ive worked out everything

anyone got any advice on how to build up my stamina ? any other advice would be great

cheers guys

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Give you a hint..

Warm up, rotate all the muscles and joints but please DO NOT stretch your muscles either before or during a workout. Stretching is tearing. You do not want to pre-tear a muscle before a workout. You tear them while you are training them. Post workout you should take ten minutes out to stretch and really aim to get deep into the muscle. The stretch post workout helps in muscle repair and will allow better training results over an extended period of time.

Even if Ed doesn't have much sodium in his diet, i'd be more inclined to look at training load and food intake before looking into things such as sodium intake.

In other news. Getting back into training after two months of having a lot of health issues and putting on 5kg (doctors orders to completely stop activity and was put on a higher carb diet to aid in recovery from sickness). As a PT, it's been embarrassing, but tonight is going to be my first hard hitout after spending the last few days ensuring my cardiovascular system has been given some cycles of steady state cardio and HIIT, gauging where I currently am compared to where I was a few months ago.

Shouldn't take more than a solid two months to get back to the 70kg I was (I'm 5'5) and get back to a few other lifting goals I was hitting before being struck down.

Well your right in one sense, you don't stretch before workout, but to be specific you don't do STATIC stretches pre-workout. You do DYNAMIC stretches, which involve constant movement which loosen the joints and increase bloodflow to the muscles. This should always be followed by a very light warm up set of every exercise you do, just to ensure the muscles used in the heavy exercise are completely warmed before overloading them with weight.

You mention Ed should look at training load and food intake before looking at sodium. Sodium is a direct result of his food intake and forms part of his core micronutrients. Many professional and amateuer atheltes who suffer cramps, is often a result of over-hydration or a salt/sodium deficiency.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Just wanted to let you guys know I learnt some great information from reading this thread (so sicking of hearing this chestbrah bullshit hahaha).

Might as well put in my story:

Only a couple of months ago I was 16 - 17 (age) and weighed 125 kilo's. Now for any kid that is MASSIVE. But I am over 2 meters tall so it kinda makes sense and I do wear my weight well, and have a naturally large build. But I was sick of thinking that I was going to end up lonely in my life because of my body shape. So I hit the gym - I did mainly cardio and lost about 5 kilo's and got seriously bored of it. Cardio just isn't that fun to me, I know it's important but I really dislike it. The 2 months or so (minus a huge chunk of time for exams) I completely changed my workout plan and added weights, boy do I love lifting weights. I am down to 110 kilo's and am MUCH stronger. I can actually do a chin up and over 15 push ups. I could barely do a single push up and a chin up was impossible. Everything about me is getting stronger and am really looking forward to losing more weight, as that is my ultimate goal. I don't think for my build I'll ever get under 100 kilo's but this is my goal - to give back my girl the same thing she gives me! :)

At the moment I go to gym 5 times a week - I'm a tad lenient on my plan because I'm on holidays and things do come up.

Monday: Cardio (goal of burning 300 calories, never not achieved it.)
Tuesday: Legs/Upper Body (dependent on which machines are being taken up more)
Wednesday: Core
Thursday: Legs/Upper Body (same as Tuesday)
Friday: Cardio

My Leg days consists of a bunch of different exercises that I just feel like doing on the day. Usually - Incline Leg Press, Prone Leg Curl, Leg Extensions, Calf Press (am yet to squat but this will be implemented soon, I'm very shy so doing things like bench and squatting I don't do often because I feel like an idiot)

My Upper Body days are not spread out right and I think I need another day because I take ages to complete it but from what I've read in this thread you can't over train so I don't really mind as much - Standing Barbell curl, weird dumbell raise thing like you're flying like a bird, seated row, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs, bench press, shoulder press, lower back crunch type thing ( don't know what it's called), pec thingy (again, don't know what it's called)

I don't drink any protiene shakes or anything like that - I think that I could see some huge results if I did but god damn the stuff is expensive from what I saw.

My diet isn't very strict, I eat what I feel like, just in moderation. I don't drink as much water as I nearly should, I'm quite oftenly dehydrated I just don't really get affected by it. I don't sleep enough either out of my own choice but that will change over these holidays.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Monday: Cardio (goal of burning 300 calories, never not achieved it.)
Tuesday: Legs/Upper Body (dependent on which machines are being taken up more)
Wednesday: Core
Thursday: Legs/Upper Body (same as Tuesday)
Friday: Cardio

My Leg days consists of a bunch of different exercises that I just feel like doing on the day. Usually - Incline Leg Press, Prone Leg Curl, Leg Extensions, Calf Press (am yet to squat but this will be implemented soon, I'm very shy so doing things like bench and squatting I don't do often because I feel like an idiot)

My Upper Body days are not spread out right and I think I need another day because I take ages to complete it but from what I've read in this thread you can't over train so I don't really mind as much - Standing Barbell curl, weird dumbell raise thing like you're flying like a bird, seated row, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs, bench press, shoulder press, lower back crunch type thing ( don't know what it's called), pec thingy (again, don't know what it's called)

Awesome to hear you have really decided to hit the gym hard and change your body. You will notice that as time progresses and you maintain your commitment, as you see the little changes, your whole attitude changes and reaching those goals becomes the most satisfying thing ever.

As for any suggestions I could give, here are a few:

1. Your main goal is to lose weight and you also hate cardio. Weight training burns more calories during and after a workout that any form of cardio.

If you want to maximise your results I would put an emphasis on doing ALL your workout sessions on weights, targeting 1 or 2 specific body parts per session. For example Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Shoulders, Legs = a solid 4 day split. Throw some abs sets in every workout between exercises to keep

Move your cardio to first thing in the morning when you wake up, before breakfast. Go for a 10-20min cardio sesh, but instead of just a 'run' or a 'jog' do some HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training)

• HIIT - Involves a 1 min sprint followed by 1 min slow walk to recover breath, then repeat. (Best fat burning cardio there is - philosophy behind it is that the body burns fat at its peak when it has a maximum supply of oxygen. When going for a continuous run your body is starving for air, thus not utilising fat as it's primary energy source = doesn't burn fat well)

I don't drink any protiene shakes or anything like that - I think that I could see some huge results if I did but god damn the stuff is expensive from what I saw.

My diet isn't very strict, I eat what I feel like, just in moderation. I don't drink as much water as I nearly should, I'm quite oftenly dehydrated I just don't really get affected by it. I don't sleep enough either out of my own choice but that will change over these holidays.

In this game, working out contributes to 20% of the result, 10% on sleep and 70% on diet/nutrition. You ever heard of the phrase 'abs are made in the kitchen'.

Your diet is the most important thing to focus on, what you eat determines what you are.

2.I would start drinking a lot more water. As a rough guide, 1 litre per 25kg's of body weight is about the right amount to drink each day. So if your 100kg (25/100 = 4litres of water per day)
By drinking more water, you will also be less hungry and less likely to snack and binge on foods which do not pose any benefit to your body or achieving your goals.

3. In terms of your food intake. Cut down the amount of processed foods and take away's and soft drinks and minimize your alcohol consumption (all of these contain empty calories, an enormous amount of sugar and alot of saturated/trans-fatty acids which are not beneficial or healthy to your body). Also avoid high GI (Glycemic Index) foods, which are high processed carbs. Like white bread, white potato's, white rice, white flour, non-wholegrain/wholemeal pasta)
Therefore, avoid these things:
  • Sugar (try not to add sugar to anything)
  • Saturated Fats
  • Trans-Fatty Acids
  • White breads/rices/flours/pastas

Instead go for things like these:
  • Brown Rice
  • Broccoli
  • Tomato
  • Wholemeal Wholegrain bread
  • Sweet Potato
  • Cos Lettuce

Aim for fresh, clean foods and try and have 4-5 smaller meals a day. Aim for around 30g protein per meal. Protein is the mother of all fat burning food groups and also the mother of all muscle building food groups. Best forms of protein are:

• Tuna/Salmon
  • Lean Beef
  • Kangaroo
  • Chicken/Poultry
  • Eggs
  • Cottage Cheese
  • Whey protein

Sample diet:

Breakfast: Oats & Milk (porridge) with some berries or cinammon
Mid-Morning: Can of Tuna or Salmon with salad (like cos lettuce)
Lunch: Chicken Breast Sandwich (on wholegrain bread or brown rice or
Mid-Afternoon: 5 Eggs
Dinner/Post Workout: Steak or Protein shake

Sorry to spit out a heap of information, but that's a basic guide to think about on how to progress further.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
8.5 weeks til Orange Marathon; still keeping with the 'less is more' approach to weights but my physique isn't really suffering neither, nor is my upper body strength. Have stopped my excessive weighing of self; has been a cornerstone behaviour of my eating disorder. As a result my fluid intake has increased 100%. Down 2.5kg anyway since I entered 'recovery'. Running going well; 27.8km last week at 5:15/km pace, this weekend bumping it up to 30.6km. Did 18km yesterday doing multiple laps around a nearby lake that was quite hilly and twisty on the full gammut of surfaces - steel, clay, gravel, timber, tarmac and cement. 2.82km time now down to 12:56 (runners club has short and fast handicap race every wednesday afternoon).

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Don't be sorry mate - massive thank you!! That information is gold. I hope it makes you feel good to know that your information is going to help me be a better me in soo many ways. I had no idea that weight training was more effective at weight loss. Bloody T.V mate, brain washes you. My only issue is now - I don't know enough weight training exercises, for all the different muscle groups. I go to a very well equipped gym so if you could give me the proper names of the exercises I can google them all and do them at the gym. That would be such a huge help man. I seriously appreciate all the information. Also, about my diet - I forget that everbody eats different things and what not. I eat nearly all home cooked meals. Except on the occasion of take out due to Mum working late. I've never been a fan of tin-fish but I might have to just plug my nose while eating it or something. I only eat wholemeal/wholegrain bread or homemade bread. My nan makes it on the occasion, best bread I swear.On another note white bread just seems fake to me.

My meals usually consist of meat(chicken, steak, lamb, pork, anything you can think of. We're originally from the country and are HUGE on meat)), veggies and some chips. Spaghetti, and stuff. I have a serious problem with snacks and lunches though. Never know what to eat. Lunch is usually spaghetti jaffels or just some chips or something - as I said, my worst meal. Never know what to eat.

I also drink Up&Go's in the morning and drink a protiene 'extra version' one after a weight session at gym. They're the best form of protiene I can find. I'm sure there's probably something very wrong with 'em. haha.

Thanks again mate. Truly appreciate it.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
I've taken all the information you've said and copied it into a notepad, absolutely gold. THANKS!!! :))

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Don't be sorry mate - massive thank you!! That information is gold. I hope it makes you feel good to know that your information is going to help me be a better me in soo many ways. I had no idea that weight training was more effective at weight loss. Bloody T.V mate, brain washes you. My only issue is now - I don't know enough weight training exercises, for all the different muscle groups. I go to a very well equipped gym so if you could give me the proper names of the exercises I can google them all and do them at the gym. That would be such a huge help man. I seriously appreciate all the information. Also, about my diet - I forget that everbody eats different things and what not. I eat nearly all home cooked meals. Except on the occasion of take out due to Mum working late. I've never been a fan of tin-fish but I might have to just plug my nose while eating it or something. I only eat wholemeal/wholegrain bread or homemade bread. My nan makes it on the occasion, best bread I swear.On another note white bread just seems fake to me.

My meals usually consist of meat(chicken, steak, lamb, pork, anything you can think of. We're originally from the country and are HUGE on meat)), veggies and some chips. Spaghetti, and stuff. I have a serious problem with snacks and lunches though. Never know what to eat. Lunch is usually spaghetti jaffels or just some chips or something - as I said, my worst meal. Never know what to eat.

I also drink Up&Go's in the morning and drink a protiene 'extra version' one after a weight session at gym. They're the best form of protiene I can find. I'm sure there's probably something very wrong with 'em. haha.

Thanks again mate. Truly appreciate it.

Avoid all that stuff, avoid chips etc...

Follow that sample diet plan I gave you above. Don't have to eat the same thing every day, but it's all when and what you eat. Choose your protein, choose your carbs, follow the plan!
Ditch the chips and choose leafy green veggies instead. Green veggies are carbs with half the calories and double the nutrients than a potato or flour based carb.

Ditch the up and go's, full of sugar and hardly even got 10g protein in them. Go for oats and milk and or eggs or buy a 5kg tub of whey protein which works out to be around $1.50-$2.50 a shake depending on what type you buy. Way better than an Up&Go.

In terms of exercises:

Use this as a reference guide to work out what exercise I'm talking about A to Z Exercise Listing

Try do 3-4 sets per exercise (do a very light warm up set of each exercise first) and go for 8-12 reps

Chest/Triceps
  • Bench Press
  • Dumbbell Fly curls
  • Incline Bench
  • Cable Fly Curls
  • Decline Bench
  • Dips
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Tricep Pull Downs
  • Split rope Tricep Pull down

Back/Biceps
  • Chin Ups
  • Lat Pull Down
  • Cable Row
  • Barbell Bent over Row
  • Standing barbell Bicep Curl
  • Standing Alternating Dumbbell Bicep Curl
  • Seated Preacher Curl
  • Standing Alternative Hammer curls

Shoulders
  • Seated Shoulder Press
  • Seated Dumbell rear delt raise
  • Standing rear delt raise
  • Standing Lateral Delt Raise
  • Standing Bent Arm Lateral Delt Raise
  • Standing Frontal Delt Raise
  • Standing Plate Lift/Raise
  • Standing Barbell Military Press (behind head)
  • Shrugs

Legs
  • Squats
  • Split Squats
  • Calf press
  • Romanian Deadlift (straight leg deadlift)
  • Calf Raise
  • Leg Extensions
  • Hamstring Curls

That's a sample solid 4 day split. Eat clean and train hard!