Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the ford flathead

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
i'll take that Ford SHELBY GT COBRA anyday ... that thing pissed along (gone in 60 seconds)

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Believe me...you do not want a "period" Chevrolet motor in your 1934...even allowing for one up to 1944. Why not?
Chev at that time didn't have a V8 engine in thier line-up...and I am dead sure you don't want the biggest engine they did have, the old 6-cylinder with cast-iron pistons, no oil pump or filter, splash lubrication of the big ends (no, I don't know how the rockers were lubed either...luck? :whistling ) and not a lot of power? :w00t:

To be true to the early hot-rod period, go for the flat-head Ford V8...that is what the first rodders really used, and they stuck them in anything and everything. Most hot rodders even today couldn't give a rat's arse about what make of motor you have, more about the style you put into the overall package...in fact, the wierder and more unusual the motor the better in a lot of cases. One of the most crowd-drawing vehicles I saw at a show once many years back was a first-model HB Torana with a side-valve Ford V8 in it. It fit like it was made for it, and with triple strombergs on it and three beehive filters it looked the ducks guts.

Good luck with your rod!