Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Law!

Q

QLD Calais

I dont see how that statement makes me "Not to bright" but if its 2v1 then i must be wrong. goddamnit :bang: :bang:

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Laws

With all the criticism of government, sometimes they get unfairly blamed. Many of these laws are based on objective studies. Chances, if you do a web search on the topic, you probably would come up with a lot of reasons why these laws are enacted. Mind you, the laws are not always complete in that they miss out glaring inconsistencies, but at least they are learning what works and what does not. But let's talk about merits of the law.

I would bet you good money (is 5 bucks a lot of money?), if you take 10 average teenagers with crappy cars, and 10 average teenagers with another 10 souped up cars, and you cut them loose, the turbo-charged group would be taking more silly chances. I cannot ever remember seeing teenagers doing wheelies with beat up Hyundai Excels. Heck, most of them in beat up cars just want to get the heck off the road cause they do not want their friends to see them in the rust bucket. On the other hand, you see a souped up mobile with wicked sound and these guys are seeking attention. What I am saying is that the car does influence behaviour. We who have been driving for a while, on average, have had enough encounters to realize that when flesh and fast moving metal objects collide, we end up swinging from a hospital bed in a coocon of plaster of paris. Some of us even had our lives flash before our eyes, complete with Pepsi commercials.

What I am saying is that more experienced drivers have the legacy experience that usually reminds us the pain of responsibility. Younger drivers take time to learn and while they are learnng, many take foolish chances, with the possibility of hurting themselves and others. 33% of fatal accidents are aged 17-24 despite only being 17% of all licensed drivers. Take a closer look at the stats, it actually says if there were 100 fatalities, 33 were young, but only 17 were licensed drivers. Which means that there were 16 unlicensed young drivers dieing with 17 licensed ones (17-33=16). For many males, and moreso for the young ones, our cars are tied to our sexuality and machismo and if you were to separate that from us, we are nothing. By the way, just another friendly highlight, 90% of drunk driver fatalities are males. Maybe we guys are just not too bright when we start to sniff gas. I know we get pretty stupid when we sniff other things, but if I was to say the word they would kick me so far off this site, they would be picking up remnants of my ass on Mars!

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
33% of fatal accidents are aged 17-24 despite only being 17% of all licensed drivers. Take a closer look at the stats, it actually says if there were 100 fatalities, 33 were young, but only 17 were licensed drivers. Which means that there were 16 unlicensed young drivers dieing with 17 licensed ones (17-33=16).

Thats an incorrect analysis. What those stats are actually saying is that 17-24s have fatal crashes about twice as often as the average of all licenced drivers.

To put it another way if there were 100 fatals 33 of those would be 17-24 but they only make up 17 out of 100 drivers on the road.

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for the clarification

Thats an incorrect analysis. What those stats are actually saying is that 17-24s have fatal crashes about twice as often as the average of all licenced drivers.

To put it another way if there were 100 fatals 33 of those would be 17-24 but they only make up 17 out of 100 drivers on the road.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, J_D. And for the rest of the group, it was not my intent to be misleading as it was a genuine mistake.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
its.. good..

but i think i now know what people mean by the government controlling our lives.

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
I would bet you good money (is 5 bucks a lot of money?), if you take 10 average teenagers with crappy cars, and 10 average teenagers with another 10 souped up cars, and you cut them loose, the turbo-charged group would be taking more silly chances. I cannot ever remember seeing teenagers doing wheelies with beat up Hyundai Excels. Heck, most of them in beat up cars just want to get the heck off the road cause they do not want their friends to see them in the rust bucket. On the other hand, you see a souped up mobile with wicked sound and these guys are seeking attention. What I am saying is that the car does influence behaviour. We who have been driving for a while, on average, have had enough encounters to realize that when flesh and fast moving metal objects collide, we end up swinging from a hospital bed in a coocon of plaster of paris. Some of us even had our lives flash before our eyes, complete with Pepsi commercials.

You've obviously never seen an Excel hire car.
Wouldn't it make more sense to stop the people who are taking silly chance from driving, rather than just force everyone to drive a **** car?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
Give em all a mightyboy! small car but theyre still pimp IMO :yeah:

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
i rekon its funny, new p platers can drive 190kw 6 clyinder commodores or falcons, but they cant drive 110kw turbo 4 cylinder merc's, audi's

Exactly!!

I dont think bringing in these laws will get the response the government is after. Hoons are going to be hoons no matter what they drive. It's like when the government made automatic guns illegal. That didnt end the gun related crime/deaths. Single shot guns still kill people, as do small/non-turbo/v8 cars.

Just my opinion