Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Queen is dead

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My thoughts are never with someone who was born with a gold spoon in their mouth and lived a life of opulence and never wanted for nothing.. My thoughts are with the people who through no fault of their own live in poverty.

The one sadness I have is that we will have put up with that idiot of son of hers. Bring on the republic.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Sure update the flag, change the anthem, change the constitution to reflect the development of the nation but let's keep our links to our heritage.
This is where controversy will occur. Our links with ( colonial ) heritage is already being changed.

Change the flag ........ just because it gets confused with that other unknown British country, EnZed..
Change the anthem .......... apart from 'girt', :rolleyes: the meaning of 'fair' should mean equal treatment and opportunity to all, but it is seen as racist.
Change the constitution ......... COVID has highlighted how antiquated that is. Needs a serious update.
All these will be presented as far more important than what is happening in the Northern Hemisphere.

As for generational change, Aust was very British until the 1950's. Aust troops heading off to fight for the Mother Country on the other side of the world in WW1 and WW2. As an early Boomer, I still don't understand that commitment.
The wars in the Pacific and Vietnam changed that. We may have been part of the Empire, but the Empire left us sitting outside in the rain.

Roll on The Republic now Liz is no longer with us.
I think she was well aware of public opinion, but we were too respectful say it in her presence.
It can be done with the stroke of a pen. We are already a republic in all but name.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
My thoughts are never with someone who was born with a gold spoon in their mouth and lived a life of opulence and never wanted for nothing.. My thoughts are with the people who through no fault of their own live in poverty.

The one sadness I have is that we will have put up with that idiot of son of hers. Bring on the republic.
I have some experience with the idiot son of hers and it is very positive. Prior to my engagement I was not a fan of the then Prince Charles. However, I was sponsored, through one of his charities, to undertake to training to transition into civilian life from the military. I did not pay a cent for some very high quality education. He also took time to have a chat via videolink and I found that he came across as having a genuine interest in supporting veterans.

Afterwards I did some research and found a bunch of amazing activities that he undertakes, through his charities, around the globe. He has sponsored many green initiatives to combat climate change, he supports underprivileged and disadvantaged people and he petitions for change in a range of fora.

It is not his fault that he was born into a wealthy family; however, he does a lot with the privilege that he has. What he doesn't do is seek recognition for it.

Google it, I think you will be surprised.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have some experience with the idiot son of hers and it is very positive. Prior to my engagement I was not a fan of the then Prince Charles. However, I was sponsored, through one of his charities, to undertake to training to transition into civilian life from the military. I did not pay a cent for some very high quality education. He also took time to have a chat via videolink and I found that he came across as having a genuine interest in supporting veterans.

Afterwards I did some research and found a bunch of amazing activities that he undertakes, through his charities, around the globe. He has sponsored many green initiatives to combat climate change, he supports underprivileged and disadvantaged people and he petitions for change in a range of fora.

It is not his fault that he was born into a wealthy family; however, he does a lot with the privilege that he has. What he doesn't do is seek recognition for it.

Google it, I think you will be surprised.
He is getting recognition for accepting money from Saudi Arabia.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Re. republic or not, I think the main balance of it was what you would replace the constitutional monarchy with, if anything...

A president? How would they be elected, what would they do?
Realistically the monarch has no tangible impact on Australian life, so why change it?

I read this morning that most remaining countries that have the monarch as head of state specifically name Elizabeth II as it. They have to change the wording to Charles, so I would think they may vote to change. Places like Bahamas or Jamaica for example.
Australia it automatically rolls over.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
He is getting recognition for accepting money from Saudi Arabia.
I'm not hard over on the issue - if we choose to become a republic - so be it. My vote will go the other way for the reasons stated.

I am simply pointing out that Charles does a lot of good work that goes unrecognised. If people were aware of it they may have a different opinion of him.

Nothing came from the investigation in the Saudi allegation so was it a media beat up or is there some truth to it? If there is some truth to it do you really care? He, more likely the head of one of his charities does, takes a million pounds from a multi billionaire who has a gold spoon in his mouth, and strives for recognition, and puts it through a charity into the hands of the underprivileged or to fund climate related activities.

This is a win in my book!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not hard over on the issue - if we choose to become a republic - so be it. My vote will go the other way for the reasons stated.

I am simply pointing out that Charles does a lot of good work that goes unrecognised. If people were aware of it they may have a different opinion of him.

Nothing came from the investigation in the Saudi allegation so was it a media beat up or is there some truth to it? If there is some truth to it do you really care? He, more likely the head of one of his charities does, takes a million pounds from a multi billionaire who has a gold spoon in his mouth, and strives for recognition, and puts it through a charity into the hands of the underprivileged or to fund climate related activities.

This is a win in my book!
Just watch how public support for royalty goes down the gurgler when he becomes King. He will carry on as usual shaking hands with people, telling his funny little jokes and making an ass of himself.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Just watch how public support for royalty goes down the gurgler when he becomes King. He will carry on as usual shaking hands with people, telling his funny little jokes and making an ass of himself.
Hi Keith

I'm not bothered by the Royalty going sown the gurgler; if it does it will be of their own doing as they have failed to show relevance.

My point is that you may choose to reconsider your disdain for Charles because he was born into wealth. He clearly has a similar outlook to you own in relation to the underprivileged and those living in poverty. You pair may even get on if he told better jokes.

He provides charity to the needy and other causes; he is not forced to do so and he doesn't go looking for recognition to show the world how much of a great bloke he is. To me this shows that he has humility and understands that as a wealthy person he has the capability to make a difference.

Love or hate the Royals and what they stand for you can't deny that Charles is trying to make a difference,

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd have more respect for Charles if he didn't do the dirty on his wife.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
RIP... and now to a Republic we go and about F' ing time, as the thought of King Charlie just pisses me off.