Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I thought to have a toll road, the private sector had to invest funds (even if in part) and that's why they got to charge a toll because a portion of the road is privately owned.

I thought the govt just tendered out the toll collection service, And they get a cut of the takings.
The toll company (govia) gets the rest of the takings

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I remember on the South Eastern freeway or the Monash whatever it's called now you had to go to the post office to get a day pass to travel on it but you could only buy I think 6 individual passes a year . This was before the etag.
Also remember paying at the toll booth to cross the West gate Bridge.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought to have a toll road, the private sector had to invest funds (even if in part) and that's why they got to charge a toll because a portion of the road is privately owned.
Nothing stops a private company buying land (houses, farms, open space, etc) at commercial rates and then building a toll road on it. But doing it this way will result in tolls being so high that such schemes are almost certainly destined to fail before they start. So i don't believe its done like that...

Instead, down under, toll roads seem to always be created as part of the public-private partnership scam that governments foist on us all. Land is grabbed by the government at concessional rates, people tossed out and said land handed to the private company who then builds an overpriced road which they operate for some decades. Then just before decrepitude makes the road unusable, where it should be handed back to the government, the toll operator offers a "deal" and fixes it for yet another over charged amount under a new agreement that gives them more decades of tolling. These private toll companies are make a killing on this scam rather than the road authority having building such infrastructure as was done by the government before this public-private madness became the norm. Really, I'm not sure what these private-public partnerships bring to the people other than the possibility of govco snouts in troughs and political corruption to the very core.

I wish the government would get back to basics and spend our money and their effort on benefits that go directly to the public, stuff like hospitals, clinics, schools, public transport, police, roads, etc... Sports stadiums and events, stuff like Auz Open and F1 motor racing (especially F1 as it has an undisclosed public spend with dubious benifit to the general public) just shouldn't be living on the public purse... But Rome burning while the gladiators faught within the Colosseum was a great distraction ... some things never change :rolleyes:

Pft, road tolls and city congestion charges (we don't have them yet but its inevitable) just shouldn't exist... but it's the great con :oops:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I remember the toll bridge to go to Redcliffe Brisbane.....The gov't said once the cost of that was recouped they would scrap it....

They did and actually built a new bridge to head to and fro and last I saw of the old toll bridge, it was used by the ameteur fisherman..(Or should I say fisherperson to be politically correct :) )

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are ever in Rotorua I can highly recommend Ambrosia restaurant on Eat Street. Good atmosphere, excellent staff and great food.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
One morning a husband returned after several hours of fishing and decided to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, his wife decided to take the boat out and go for a ride. She motored out a short distance, anchored, and began to read her book.
A short time later, along comes a game warden in his boat. He pulled up alongside the woman and said, “Good morning Ma’am. What are you doing?”
“Reading a book,” she replied, (thinking, “Isn’t that obvious?”)
“You’re in a restricted fishing area,” he informed her.
“I’m sorry officer, but I’m not fishing, I’m reading.”
“Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I’ll have to take you in and write you up.”
“If you do that, I’ll have to charge you with sexual assault,” said the woman.
“But I haven’t even touched you,” said the game warden.
“That’s true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.”
“Have a nice day ma’am,” he said and he left.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm just wondering how I get like 10 or more laughs on posts I didn't think were outrageously funny, yet I posted a song in the video of the day thread, which I find funny and not one like.
I'll post it here

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
"I got a beer in my beer, and a Holden in my ute"

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

shane_3800

Reaction score