Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Ok, so I am involved with the local Smith Family reading for life program as a reading tutor. This afternoon, I am with a young boy and we are looking for a book in our large boxes to read together. I stumble across a picture book called 'Lance in France' and its about cycling. I'll leave you to figure out what it is about! Needless to say we adults all thought it was completely inappropriate in light of not too long ago televised confessions, and as such have tucked it away in the cupboard, never to be read.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Ok, so I am involved with the local Smith Family reading for life program as a reading tutor. This afternoon, I am with a young boy and we are looking for a book in our large boxes to read together. I stumble across a picture book called 'Lance in France' and its about cycling. I'll leave you to figure out what it is about! Needless to say we adults all thought it was completely inappropriate in light of not too long ago televised confessions, and as such have tucked it away in the cupboard, never to be read.
I don't believe (and never have) in burning books, but I reckon this one's an exception.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L

one of the main reasons i dont watch endurance sports of any kind. theres always going to be something illegal or other going on for people to get the edge on someone else. if i want to watch people out drug each other ill visit my old neighborhood in the states and watch it from an apartment window with popcorn.

the worst thing of all is lance gets to keep all that money. another great message to sends kids, do the wrong thing and get away with it...

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
cycling is unique in that there is a crapload of money involved. For example, just to get a decent road bike new is a few thousand dollars. then you add parts, special clothing etc. I have a couple of friends who are basically amateur road cyclists who still require sponsorship. With more money from sponsorship, the stakes are higher, and people play silly buggers. OTOH running is a crapload cheaper. $200 pair of shoes, $30 singlet/shorts combo from target, maybe a $150 GPS watch if you are super keen, you are as well equipped as a world champion marathoner. Albeit without the famous coach ;)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
cycling is unique in that there is a crapload of money involved. For example, just to get a decent road bike new is a few thousand dollars. then you add parts, special clothing etc. I have a couple of friends who are basically amateur road cyclists who still require sponsorship. With more money from sponsorship, the stakes are higher, and people play silly buggers. OTOH running is a crapload cheaper. $200 pair of shoes, $30 singlet/shorts combo from target, maybe a $150 GPS watch if you are super keen, you are as well equipped as a world champion marathoner. Albeit without the famous coach ;)

How long does a pair of shoes last you?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
This last pair has lasted 8 months, are completely worn out now; when I was doing high mileage (upwards of 80km/week) 4 months. Traditionally, the cushioning of a typical running shoe is only good for 800km. So you could spend $800/yr on running shoes. If you want to focus on 10K events, your mileage and shoe usage will obviously be a lot lower. If you want to get into running semi-seriously it will cost money but nothing more than any other serious hobby. Of course, if you buy online overseas (as many of my running friends do) you can save serious bucks.

That being said I now have an abundant array of old shoes for mowing ;)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
one of our kids knocks over between 8-10K everyday 5-6 days a week... she is trying to tell us that new shoes once a month is normal... thats a lot of money! I don't want to not spend the money. TBH I look at the shoes and dont really see a problem with them, sure they're a bit worn but not being a runner I don't know.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
one of our kids knocks over between 8-10K everyday 5-6 days a week... she is trying to tell us that new shoes once a month is normal... thats a lot of money! I don't want to not spend the money. TBH I look at the shoes and dont really see a problem with them, sure they're a bit worn but not being a runner I don't know.

I'm running around the 7-8 k mark a day , with 12k on Saturday and Sunday , I've had the same running shoes for over a year , once a month , mmmm yeah nah .

Although they may be due for retirement .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Except hormone pills. You have to be careful with hormone pills.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Except hormone pills. You have to be careful with hormone pills.

Why be careful with hormone pills? Grow a pair man boobs and I'd be happy.... broke, because I'd never leave the house to earn money.... but happy broke :)