Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

" The Sock "

V

vn_s_pac

Hey everyone im new to this site. I will post some pictures soon, if i get hold of a cam. I was talking to a couple of my mates and they were telling me about removing a "sock" look a like thing, apparently its near the throttle body and it gives you more power! can anyone tell me what the hell is he on about lol

cheers Aaron ;)

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
It's a bellmouth thingy that was inserted just after the throttle body on VNII onwards...
Dunno if it gives you more noticibly power, bit more grunt down low maybe...
I have a step by step of it somewhere...I'll if I can dig it up...

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
I have removed mine and it definately makes the car more responsive.
Just rememeber to seal it up proplery otherwise you'll get a vaccuum leak which will lead to the car idling high, running hot and even leaning out at high RPM !

Cheers
Paul.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
MaNiac_VP said:
I have removed mine and it definately makes the car more responsive.
Just rememeber to seal it up proplery otherwise you'll get a vaccuum leak which will lead to the car idling high, running hot and even leaning out at high RPM !

Cheers
Paul.
Thats interesting. What is the purpose of these things, and do they break easily? My car is having a few high-idling problems and has always had piss weak response.

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Please hold my hand

can some one post a step by step, also how hard are they too get back in/on the car, in case its not wat im after.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
The purpose of the bellmouth was to smoothen out and regulate the idle of the car, while also stop it from having too much power off the line.

I did mine quite some time ago, but basically:

D/Connect Battery!
Remove the air intake hose (has one clip, one screw and one hose attatchment.
Remove the bolts that hold the thorttle cable attatchement (3 x 11mm and 1 x 12mm -i think from memory). Lift throttle cable attatchment.
Remove the cruise control attatchment (if applicable)
Remove three surrounding bolts on the throttle body.
There is one on either side of the throttle body, plus one behind the unit which is hard to get to. They are 11mm as well I think.
Remove three vaccum lines from the right side of the throttle body. Just pull them off.

Then pull the throttle body towards the firewall, pull out the plastic bellmouth - kinda looks like a black funnel.
Remove the (by now) broken gaskets (there should be two). Make sure you hold onto these or get new ones if you plan to put the bellmouth back on.

Then get some of that lovely Solastics and seal up the gap (thoroughly so theres no air leaks) and then seal it up and put it together in reverse order. Be careful not to get anyinside the body otherwise it may seal up an injector!

Wait a couple of hours for the Solastics to dry.

Connect battery, start car idle it at 3,000RPM for about 10 secs.

Then go for a drive. Put it back on if your not satisfied, but im sure you'll leave it off.

Last edited:

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
after the higher 3000RPM, wat would the normal be... usally 750 -+ 50

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Thanks Maniac, my dad and I might be going to do that to my mum's S2 VN :)

He got his typical "ooh, that's very interesting" look on his face when I told him exactly why the S2 has less power, etc. ;)

G

GrpA Calais

I assume this would apply to the VP Series 1 as well?

I fitted a K&N panel filter and cut a long slot in the bottom edge of the filter housing - throttle response is MUCH improved! In overdrive D it feels like I'm actually in normal D under light to moderate acceleration now.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yeh its quite an easy mod, and I remember noticing a lot more power off the line. The idle stayed the same as before, hasn't really affected the idle at all. Once the computer is reset it compensates for the small increase in air.

It will work on VN series 2 engines up till VR.

Just make sure you seal it all up properly after you take the Bellmouth out, get the gasket and use a bit of solastic to help the seal.

Good luck with it all hope your dad has fun.