Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the 'v8 saving fund'

Status
Not open for further replies.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
People say that "save for a v8" becuase they are being realistic, and (most) know what they are talkign about. Yeah put on an exhaust and cai to a v6, but unless you spend big money then it wont be worth it imo. And once you start modding a v6 wouldnt it be as illegal as driving a v8? p platers that is?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
People say that "save for a v8" becuase they are being realistic, and (most) know what they are talkign about. Yeah put on an exhaust and cai to a v6, but unless you spend big money then it wont be worth it imo. And once you start modding a v6 wouldnt it be as illegal as driving a v8? p platers that is?

This post is win. It's exactly true that most have us have been there, bought an 8, and seen the light. If someone comes on after doing a bit of research and says "I want an exhaust that sounds tough and meaty" it's understandable most people will say get an 8 because 6's will just sound like mang.

This is a public forum, so expect a lot of different opinions about what sounds good.

Crummy VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Excecutive
I cant see the problem with doing mods on a V6, just when your off your P's sell your "fully sick 6" to the next P-Plater in line. Then get a V8. Job done, case closed, checkmate GIN and YAHTZEE!!

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I cant see the problem with doing mods on a V6, just when your off your P's sell your "fully sick 6" to the next P-Plater in line. Then get a V8. Job done, case closed, checkmate GIN and YAHTZEE!!

BUT wouldn't modding a v6 be just as illegal as owning a v8 on your p's?

Crummy VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Excecutive

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0

But if you keep your V6 stock, and don't put on a rediculous exhaust, over sized wheels, neons, unit stickers and paint your dash green, then not only will you get more for your car, but you will open your car to a bigger buyers market, and not just p platers.

My first car was a Mazda 323, then I bought a VR V6 wagon when I was 19, and a VY Equipe when I was 20. Now I'm 24 and I have owned my VZ 6L SS for 9 months. My advice is make do with what you have, then when your off your P's, when insurance doesn't screw you over, and when you can afford too, then buy a V8.

bundabergsangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 Ute
Have to agree with you there...I love a big beefy V8 just as much as the next person, but at the end of the day its not how big it is...its how you use it. :) And the thing is, if you like your car, you enjoy working on your car, and you enjoy driving it, doing mods on it is not a waste of money. Just as an example, this VT is a V6, and I would certainly not consider it to be a waste of money. I myself drive a 4 cylinder Astra, which has half the amount of power of a V6 Omega at the flywheel, and although I'm not considering doing any engine mods to it at the moment (mostly because the whole purpose of me having a 4 is to try and save money on fuel), but once again, its a good car, I enjoy driving it, and while I do spend a bit of money on it here and there (for example, new headunit, also looking at putting in new speakers, as well as an armrest), I certainly do not consider it to be a waste, simply because the car lacks an extra 4 cylinders.

I agree with this completely (aswell lol). I drove a 4 cylinder Astra for a couple of years, and it was a fabulous car (got it on my Ls). I've recently upgraded to a VE V6 ute...and I didn't go to a V8 for a few reasons. First and foremost, it was illegal to me at the time (was on my Ps). Secondly, fuel consumption. I live in a very hilly area with a very bending road heading in and out...the 6 is enough of a blow on the pocket let alone flogging an 8 up and down there every second day. It's unnecessary for me.

Now don't get me wrong...I still look at the V8s as they drive past with somewhat wanting eyes...but in MY real world I just can't justify it. If I had a bottomless bank account and more time to parade my car around, sure. But as I said, the real world (for me) it's just silly.

Not to mention the bank probably couldn't keep up with the fines if I owned a V8 ... the 6 is bad enough. ;)

:hit:

Crummy VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Excecutive
But if you keep your V6 stock, and don't put on a rediculous exhaust, over sized wheels, neons, unit stickers and paint your dash green, then not only will you get more for your car, but you will open your car to a bigger buyers market, and not just p platers.

I agree with you on the whole neons, rims and stickers blah blah, but a p plater is far more likely to buy the car with shiny parts on it.

Just FYI, my VN is stock as a rock, the one and only thing I have done is swapped the seats for some better condition ones. still got the original hubcaps on it HAHA

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I agree with you on the whole neons, rims and stickers blah blah, but a p plater is far more likely to buy the car with shiny parts on it.

Just FYI, my VN is stock as a rock, the one and only thing I have done is swapped the seats for some better condition ones. still got the original hubcaps on it HAHA

a mint stock looking car looks so much better, you can do so much as a p plater to improve safety (brake upgrade) and comfort (seats etc) and just overly make it better while keeping it looking schmick.
but as always its each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.