Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The VE Monaro

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
33 minutes from Engadine to Manly back then is impressive! Less traffic though... And no cops on the roads to speak of.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No, virtually no police and espcially no Highway Patrol (although in those days, they were called Special Traffic Patrol, around at that hour. What gives me the heeby-jeebies when I think about it though, is what the engineering of the car was like. Discs on the front only, leaf rear springs and the only safety equipment was fixed seat belts. I'd love to know if your mum WAS in that ute, though. If she can recollect the incident at all, my Premier was colour called Platinum which was a silvery gold colour, with a whte roof. (another old fart's car!) I think the ute was yellow, but me memries a bit dim...

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
Look, V6 or V8, all a dude wants is A Fast Car

some people like to drive fast ... real fast ... fast as hell ...and not giving a **** about the speed limit, those people dont care if the car is a V6 or V8, the only important thing
is that IT GOES FAST.

I love a V8 and all the cars i've owned were V8's, and all the cars am gonna buy in the future are going to be V8 or more, BUT...

the Skyline is NOT a V8
the Porsche is NOT a V8
the Supra is Not a V8

but I think the V8 is better ... thats all am saying

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
Plus, having more clynders in front of the car make it safer in accedents :D (absorb more power)

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
of course there's always the fact that many of us V8 drivers are compensating for something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Speak for yourself. I've had a pinky wave, maybe even two and it just cracks me up. You'd only feel bad about it if it was acurate. I'm happy with the genes my parents gave me :D

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Ressurecting an old thread, I know, but, looking back, last post was in 2008, some huge changes since then

V8's are still as hot as ever, Alloytech has begun showing its shortcomings, and the 2014 Abbott Govt has agreed to kill off all Aussie motor manufacturing so we can have imports of junk under a dodgy TPP. I operate Hire Cars (Chauffer Driven) and the 6-cyl variants are ample, but Holden's more recent AFM system has me looking seriously at the V8 Caprice, especially for longer runs, 400 to 500km one-way (Yulara is 470, Kings Canyon 450, Tennant creek is 500km away)

The Camaro was mentioned as an 'instead of Monaro' unit, we have a few here in Alice, they are UGLY in the flesh, but have V8's

In recent times too, BMW et al have done brilliant things with V8 turbo diesels

The original subject of the thread (Which was what brought me here) was the VE coupe concept, I had been looking at images on google and saw some that were nice, and some ugly

Like any design, the component parts of the design affect how it all comes together, one design had what appeared to be standard VE tail-lights, no, not so nice, but give it the bigger, deeper Caprice tail-lights, suddenly much better, similarly, one design had a longer, more sweeping roofline reminiscent of Caprice, and resulting in a shorter tail, hmmm, better! Another had the VF rear treatment, and was also nice, dunno why, but the standard VE and the VE Senator ones just didn't work

The shape of the side windows, especially at the rear also seems important, or you end up with something that looks more like 2-door sedan, rather than coupé.

And a little bit of pickiness, but...

Charger was not a coupé, Falcon and Valiant Hardtops were, Monaro in HK/HT/HG/HQ/HJ/HX were, but the later VZ ones were not. The concept drawings/photoshops/one-off cars under VE (and VF) are. When the side glass is rolled down, the top of the B-Pillar disappears, and you have one big long hole in the side of the car, that's a coupé

Doors, and passenger cabin: No reason why a Coupé has to be a 2+2. Longer doors, like the Valiants and early Monaros had are important, yes, you still gotta tilt the damned front seat backs forward, but it makes entry/egress soo much easier, other than doing a small suicide door, a-la Mazda RX8 or some of the big Asian utes have. And the shape: Does it have a squared off bottom rear corner, like a stretched sedan front door?

The Australian market has always resisted the 2-door body, because of the belief that we all need big 4-door sedans to carry the tribe everywhere, but 2-door cars are cheaper, and 95% of the cars on our roads every day are carrying just 1 or 2 people. Only taxis and limos need the 4-door compulsion. Check out the number of lil dollies off to their daily jobs in the little Yaris/Getz/Barina Shopping Trolleys. The 2-door cars are usually lighter too, especially in things like the Yaris, with fixed side glass, there's no door frame, hinges or latches, and no lift mechanism for the glass.

We do need the bigger cars, every day I watch Camry taxis loading passengers at the ranks, and 3 big Aussie bums across that back seat is a tight fit, The Commodores and Falcons do much better. I have looked at Holden Malibu, a bit bigger, better, and, A DIESEL OPTION!!. But not as spacious as Commodore or Falcon. If we keep fattening up like the Yanks, we NEED that space

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
And by the way, if you think you REALLY need to carry 14 kids, 27 shopping bags, 3 dogs, and all the kit and caboodle everywhere, join the plebs and get one of those pretend 4WD Mummy-Taxi SUV thingys that pervade the school zones and shopping mall carparks.

Or order a V8 Coupé and give Holden/Ford/Whoever a reason to build them

Then come visit the NT where we have roads with NO speed limits

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Charger was not a coupé, Falcon and Valiant Hardtops were, Monaro in HK/HT/HG/HQ/HJ/HX were, but the later VZ ones were not. The concept drawings/photoshops/one-off cars under VE (and VF) are. When the side glass is rolled down, the top of the B-Pillar disappears, and you have one big long hole in the side of the car, that's a coupé

A coupé is a coupé, it doesn't need to be pillar-less, the modern Monaro has a raking windscreen and longer doors as well as a redesigned interior and different rear window. The roofline is also lower.

It sounds like I'm defending it because I am, the new modern Monaro wasn't just a lazy conversion it was the real deal.