Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan question

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls

Bit of background first..

When i bought my VR, all the air conditioning lines had been cut out, and i later found out the engine was rooted. Great deal right? lol

Anyway i bought a vr wreck and swapped motor, gearbox and all the aircon components into mine.

Now that i have a condenser fan to deal with, i had a look in the wiring diagram, im not much of a sparky but it seems to me that it doesnt matter which plug the thermo fan or the condenser fan plugs into, because they both seem to go back to the same place. (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Anyway when ever i turn the ignition on one of the fans turns on immediately, depending on which plug its plugged into.

I was under the impression the thermo fan doesnt kick in untill its hot, and the air con fan wouldnt kick in unless the air con was on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi guys/girls

Bit of background first..

When i bought my VR, all the air conditioning lines had been cut out, and i later found out the engine was rooted. Great deal right? lol

Anyway i bought a vr wreck and swapped motor, gearbox and all the aircon components into mine.

Now that i have a condenser fan to deal with, i had a look in the wiring diagram, im not much of a sparky but it seems to me that it doesnt matter which plug the thermo fan or the condenser fan plugs into, because they both seem to go back to the same place. (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Anyway when ever i turn the ignition on one of the fans turns on immediately, depending on which plug its plugged into.

I was under the impression the thermo fan doesnt kick in untill its hot, and the air con fan wouldnt kick in unless the air con was on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thermo fan shouldn't come on unless the coolant temperature sensor has told the ECU to turn it on, and the condensor fan should only come on when the A/C is turned on, or the compressor clutch is engaged. The thermo fan might come on as well, to help keep the coolant temperature regulated with the extra load on the engine.

I think there is a fail safe with the coolant sensor, in that if it is buggered completely, it continually runs the thermo fan as a precaution to prevent overheating.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, I'm going to give my coolant temp sensor a look at tomorrow, as it also has a hard time starting when cold, no temp signal from sensor = wrong fuel ratio i am guessing??

If no go, i switch sounds like the way to go.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
could also be the ecu having a sad, mates vs ute was cooking itself
changed the ecu and she is running normal

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Think ive fixed the prob, checked the sensor, and it was within spec.

Had a good look at wiring, and saw wiring had been hacked into, and modified to run straight though the fan relay, so to keep it running all the time. I think they did this due to the temp gauge not working before i did the engine swap. People do some crazy things.

Soldered original wires back together, and no more fan when cold. Still gotta wait to see if it operates at the right temp though.