Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan with gilmer kit

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
dont use the probe arrangement that sleeves inside the top radiator hose, they're **** and never seal up properly.

i cbf'd drawing up teh schematic so i'll give you a quick rundown assuming you know how to wire relays;

with this setup you wont need to muck about with a toggle switch.

you'll need;
1x tachiometric relay (LPG lockoff switch)
2x 30amp relays (one for each fan)
heavy gauge wire for powering the fans
temperature switch (I used Tridon TFS110 switch screwed into a brass reducer bush 1/2 to 3/8 which was then screwed into one of the TVS ports in the front of the V8 manifold)
engine runs at a nice temp even on stinking hot days with this setup.

Tridon TFS110
* Thread - 3/8 GAS
* Circuit - Normally Open Ground
* Temp Range: 87ºC to 82ºC
* Spanner - 21mm
about $50
you'll need a bloody great big spanner to get the TS switch out, a shifter wont do in this case), might help to spray some liquid spanner on the thing too, Ive heard of manifolds cracking and fittings busting off but I dont know how much truth is in that as I didnt have any problems with mine.

starting with the tach relay there are 4 terminals;
12v power input
12v power output
tach signal input
earth

run a wire from the ignition switch to the 12input
earth is self explanatory
12 power output - run two wires (one to each of the 12v trigger inputs on the 30amp relays)
tach input - run a wire from the tach output side of the coil to the tach input on the tach relay

run a 12v trigger from the ignition to the 12v input on a tachiometric relay (LPG lockoff switch), a wire from the tach output on the coil to
run an earth from each of the trigger earths to the temperature switch
run 2 heavy wires from the battery to each of the main power inputs on the relay and then a heavy wire from each of the power outputs on the relay to each fan (one relay per fan on separate circuits or you'll have dramas)
dont forget to connect the two earth wires from the fans to a solid earth....

the fans will only run when;
A the engine is running (governed by the tach relay)
and
B the engine is up to temperature
you may hear a quick burst from the fans when you turn the ignition on when the cars hot, this is just the LPG priming function for the tach relay.
wont need a toggle switch with this set up and the fans will cycle on and off according to engine temp.
the other thing i did was run a wire from the tach 12v output to a LED mounted in the dash and then from the LED to the temperature switch, this tells you the switch is cycling on and off and hence the fans....
the fans will cycle on at 87'C and switch off at 82'C.

hope this helps

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Can a mod copy Cane_It's post and make a thread out of it and sticky it. AWESOME amount of info there.