Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fans not working

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
Hi every 1 as u can see im new here so tnx 4 letting me join.. ok so here is a problem that I have read b4 on other sites. thermos just stoped working I've had my main bypassed for a bit now so I can still drive, ok. so I have replaced all hoses they were old. new coolant after a good clean out , ive replaced fuses relays etc and the thermostat water pump is working have a nice flow through all parts, I did read that they wont kik in till 104 degrease is this right. I ran it yesterday and they don't kik in I tested both fans they do work hard wire to batt. is there anything I have missed or any other ideas cheers for reading . and tnx in advance vt commodore series 2 v6 sedan

Last edited:

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
First, Check the Thermo Relay/Fuse box...
Second, did you check the temperature sender... as this tells the fans to turn on.
Third, If you have a working AirCon and it blows cold or this ain't going to work... Start car, aircon on full cold & the fans should kick in. Yes=Good, No = you have 2 electrical problems, the Aircon being the 2nd. :(

Good Luck... ;)

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
First, Check the Thermo Relay/Fuse box...
Second, did you check the temperature sender... as this tells the fans to turn on.
Third, If you have a working AirCon and it blows cold or this ain't going to work... Start car, aircon on full cold & the fans should kick in. Yes=Good, No = you have 2 electrical problems, the Aircon being the 2nd. :(

Good Luck... ;)
yea both fuses are ok it seems aircon has a leak behind dash has been for 5 yrs lol ill try with aircon anyway see what goes on . tnx for replying mate.

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
ok so fans didn't kik in with air con I presume the condenser wont without gass. the 2 fuses 30 amp look ok at top but seem seized in the box hmmm

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The bcm controls the first fan from a signal from the ecu there's a high-speed fan controlled from the ecu directly at a higher temp.unplug the coolant sensor and turn the engine on and one fan should start followed by the 2nd fan shortly after will at least confirm if the system is working

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
ok that worked 1st fan kiked in then second wahoo so this means the sender is shot yea

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
They do take a while to warm up fans come on around halfway on the gauge.the sensor is obviously not open circuited or the fans would go all the time but It could be reading out a bit maybe

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
the temp was always at a quarter just over never had a drama for 7 yrs. tnx for the info tho, cheers n beers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You'll find that the fan fuses are fixed in their holders by screws.
When you lift the cover off, there are two tabs either side. Squeeze theses together and withdraw the fuse assembly from the housing.

Thatcher Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 auto 6 sedan
ok so the latest is put her back together ran on idle for 25 min b4 thermostat opend up , ie top and bottom radiator hoses were cold till 25 min then she opened pipes became hot ran still for another 20 min on idle still no fans kiked in no swelling in hoses used a micro meter on them lol just don't want to blow motor by over heating, fuses as said by nutcracker are fine relays are new all is new was told by a mechanic who has a vt she needs to hit 94 degrease b4 they kik but I recon its hotter coz u hold the pipe intake to radiator is hot as hmmmm and temp gauge is half between q and half