Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermostat gasket

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
when replacing the thermostat and the gasket, which goes first the gasket then the thermosat? or thermostat then the gasket? cheers guys

andrew270681

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR
Are you talking about the rubber ring? I put mine on the thermostat housing (you will see a groove for it). It did have a gasket but i removed it and only have the rubber ring.

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
rubber ring?? guess i missed that then. im talking about the gasket which goes between the housing and the block.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
it shouldnt matter, one shouldn't foul the other, if they do, i'd keep the gasket on top, so long as the thermostat is seated in it's hole and is flush witht he housing, then the gasket would do best to be on top.

andrew270681

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR
it shouldnt matter, one shouldn't foul the other, if they do, i'd keep the gasket on top, so long as the thermostat is seated in it's hole and is flush witht he housing, then the gasket would do best to be on top.

Agree..

:beer chug:

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
cheers guys what bout this rubber ring?? is there one? not 100% sure

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
Hi,
I replaced the thermostat in my car about a month ago. Before you put it in, scrape out any crud from the groove on the manifold that it sits in. The top half of the manifold housing has a groove that holds the o-ring gasket, make sure you remove that... or when you bolt it on you'll snap your housing. Get some fine sandpaper (600-800 grit) on a flat surface and rub the flat side of the thermostat housing to make a nice clean surface.
Then it's just a matter of putting in the thermostat, make sure it sits flat, if you have a bit of contact glue, put a couple of drops on the thermostat housing to hold the gasket in the groove then place it on and do up the bolts. Do up the bolts gradually on each side to keep it sitting nice and flat... and don't overtighten them... or the housing will crack/snap.

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
so there is an o ring that goes in before the thermostat then??

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
No... the thermostat sits in the manifold side of the thermostat... there should be a little indent for it to sit in, then the rubber ring (which should be slightly larger than the thermostat) sits in the groove in the thermostat housing... make sure when you pull off the thermostat housing you remove the black ring to reveal the groove... if you try to bolt it up with that old gasket still in you'll snap ur housing!!