Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
EV uptake is on the increase but they would primarily being bought by those with plenty of money. Lets face it only people with plenty of money have $70k to drop on an EV or any other car for that matter. To even get a loan for $70k you would need to be on a pretty decent wicket, to be approved and then able to afford the repayments. I tried to get a loan for $20k when I was carless and was knocked back told I couldn't afford the repayments and I'm paid reasonably well compared to many.

But the prices are coming down. It wasn’t all that long ago that people were talking about ‘those $100,000 EVs’, then it became ‘those $80,000 EVs’, then ‘those $60,000 EVs‘.

And now you can buy one for $40,000 https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/electric-vehicles/cheapest-electric-car-australia.html How many more years until they hit $30,000?

So, instead of buying a cheap new ICE car, some might make the jump to a cheap new EV - the difference would be $20,000 vs $40,000 with a lot of cost savings to be had along the way.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
We do… we pay GST on the electricity that we buy from the grid, we pay GST on the supply charge, but we don’t pay GST on the PV generated FiT tariff. So, recharging an EV using excess PV production is GST free. It is even income tax free too (At bit of a grey area, but so far, tax-free for private residential systems).

From an electricity retailer’s website…

View attachment 267050

So you've quoted stuff to do with solar.....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I can understand the ‘up front costs’ argument, and why the initial capital cost would be a barrier for many. I have noticed that many newer technologies often have a high upfront cost, but a lower on-going cost, but with an overall lower cost. Solar PV, high efficiency appliances, and EVs all probably fall in to that category - the lifetime savings are there if you can afford the initial buy-in cost.

The ’replacement battery’ line has been popping up a lot. I do wonderer if this is part of a ‘sow doubt’ campaign by the fossil fuel industry? Is it something that is being talked about on Sky News?

Firstly, I don’t see too many questions or concerns about the cost of an engine replacement when buying a new ICE engine, and for new buyers it‘s a non-issue. It’s the same for EVs. There was a story recently in Australia of someone who does significant mileage. They had a pack fail (warning light on the dash) at 666,000 km. It was apparently covered by warranty, but they elected to have a bigger battery pack fitted and paid $20,000 for the upgrade. (Found the video, below…).

That’s $100

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But the prices are coming down. It wasn’t all that long ago that people were talking about ‘those $100,000 EVs’, then it became ‘those $80,000 EVs’, then ‘those $60,000 EVs‘.

And now you can buy one for $40,000 https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/electric-vehicles/cheapest-electric-car-australia.html How many more years until they hit $30,000?

So, instead of buying a cheap new ICE car, some might make the jump to a cheap new EV - the difference would be $20,000 vs $40,000 with a lot of cost savings to be had along the way.
And while those cheapies may suit some who only use them to commute to work and back, they won't be much good for anything else.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
So you've quoted stuff to do with solar.....

Yes. Have a reread of my earlier post. The ~$7 recharging cost figure is based upon ‘self consumption’ of PV generated electricity. The other figure (~$20) is the buy-from-the-grid figure. Both are cheaper than petrol, but the point was really the tax being paid (prompted by that post with the incorrect excise figures in it).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like a motorbike?
Difference being with a bike you have over 400km to a tank, meaning you can get to your destination spend a hour there and head back home, all for the total outlay of less than $4k. Don't see an EV ever being that cheap unless it has a dead battery. Plus only the expensive EV's can get 400km plus from a single charge. Plus you don't need an additional car space in the shed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Where will it all end? :)
I’d like it to start with an update to building regulations to ensure solar batteries and EV’s must be stored in a fire proof location (a garage with fireproof cladding similar to the stuff used between attached units). That way a battery fire has less chance of hopping from one house to the next in our densely populated 350m2 block sized new city suburbs.

Me, I’m expecting nothing will happen until we have an EV/solar battery cascade event that mimics 1666 London burning :oops:

As to the cost issues of going solar, there are two choices, (1) make the new ev products cheaper so ordinary people can afford them, or (2) make the old stuff more expensive to operate thus making the expensive ev products seem cheap in comparison.

I’m expecting more of (2) to occur than (1) just because greed…

and that’ll create more division within society just as AI and automation starts to really kick in and increase the levels on unemployment on a global scale :(

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes. Have a reread of my earlier post. The ~$7 recharging cost figure is based upon ‘self consumption’ of PV generated electricity. The other figure (~$20) is the buy-from-the-grid figure. Both are cheaper than petrol, but the point was really the tax being paid (prompted by that post with the incorrect excise figures in it).

Not all solar systems or people using those systems have a negative power bill....

Adding an electric car to that would increase the consumption...So you'd have to upgrade that system (giving the gov't more GST) to help reduce the load on the solar system.

Oh and the gov't feed in tariff is reducing year by year, so more chance of receiving a bill, or greater bill especially by adding an electric car charging system to that solar system installed into the property

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like a motorbike?
Also a bike is often an addition. Having an EV as an addition is significantly more expensive. I'd still need a tow vehicle as I like to go on holidays and out in my boat when I can. Can't do that with an EV.