Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Reading the article, there appeared to be a paper trail with the workmanship, as there should be.....Part of the issue appears to be how the workmanship on the brakes was performed was substandard according to the prosecutors, which lead to the accident occurring

Also having the big delay in the case doesn't help get answers for anyone quick....And in some cases, very vague recollections to what occurred, which effects the outcome.

At the beginning of the article, the prosecutors offered a fine of $2,000 if the mechanic pled guilty.....To me, that automatically says they are clutching at straws, knowing the mechanic did nothing wrong....But that's a personal opinion and might be out of line.

We can only hope lessons are learnt from it and it doesn't occur again :)
You’d think that following such deaths, a coroner investigation should occur where there’d be recommendations for new/changed/improved processes, requirements and laws that the industry would need to apply.… usually before prosecutions, if any, would even occur …

So unless a coroner investigation occurred, I‘d guess nothing was really learnt as a result of this tragedy. Why because courts punish and other than a guy in jail, nothing is learnt by the broader industry unless pushed by the coroner and adopted by the government and industry.

And you’d think better manufacturer’s repair procedures would result and the mechanics documentation processes of said procedures for the work that’s actually done would be mandated and clearer … but has any such improvements been reported? doubt it …

And those prosecutorial games where it’s a choice between a $2000 fine or a long jail sentence is shitfuckery at a USA level of legal corruption :(

It all sounds like a loose loose for all involved :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I understand there were no deaths. So the coroner wouldn't get involved?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
From what I understand there were no deaths. So the coroner wouldn't get involved?

You’re correct. 16 people injured, but no fatalities. I mistook the report of a death of the investigator and somehow assumed there were fatalities in the accident.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should read the news article :oops: but newspapers aren’t a great place to get accurate info :(

If only newspapers linked to court documents… Nah, they couldn’t possibly do such in todays modern connected world :mad:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I should read the news article :oops: but newspapers aren’t a great place to get accurate info :(

If only newspapers linked to court documents… Nah, they couldn’t possibly do such in todays modern connected world :mad:

To complicate it, I didn’t find it a particularly well written article as I found it hard to keep that of who’s who. I was going to search for another account of that story, but in the end I didn’t get around to doing that. (I’ve been busy modifying and improving my CNC router instead :) ).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You’d think that following such deaths, a coroner investigation should occur where there’d be recommendations for new/changed/improved processes, requirements and laws that the industry would need to apply.… usually before prosecutions, if any, would even occur …

So unless a coroner investigation occurred, I‘d guess nothing was really learnt as a result of this tragedy. Why because courts punish and other than a guy in jail, nothing is learnt by the broader industry unless pushed by the coroner and adopted by the government and industry.

And you’d think better manufacturer’s repair procedures would result and the mechanics documentation processes of said procedures for the work that’s actually done would be mandated and clearer … but has any such improvements been reported? doubt it …

And those prosecutorial games where it’s a choice between a $2000 fine or a long jail sentence is shitfuckery at a USA level of legal corruption :(

It all sounds like a loose loose for all involved :(

You should read the article before going to much further......

Other areas need improving as well, if they haven't, like driver training....There was a suggestion, the driver as going too quick for the conditions.....

We also don't know what was in the mechanics notes, but was mentioned in the article that the defense and prosecution agreed to disagree on the brake adjustment procedures the mechanic undertook....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think we can all agree, thanks to all the postulating from govco no justice will ever be served in this case. Sadly, a lot of cases go this way.

And as someone mentioned further back, no one seems to give a damn about the victims, they are always an afterthought compared to the rights of the accused.

Unfortunately, crime fighting seems to be very much about ticking boxes and stats.

There have been quite a few cases in the last few years where certified mechanics/shops have been found to be falling way short of NZTA standards and have lost certification. I notice it when you go to get a WOF test, they are looking for something to fail you on, they are looking at things that are nothing to do with WOF testing to make it look like they are doing their jobs properly in the eyes of the certifying agency (NZTA).

I know one year a mechanic doing the check on Mr24's old BMW said the (flexible) brake lines were old and worn out and needed replacement as they were close to failing? Car has been driven for 2 years and been through another WOF check where they said nothing about the same brake lines. I believe we inspected those brake lines ourselves and found nothing to suggest imminent failure.

To me, it's a game. Sometimes I'll leave something minor faulty on the car so they can say they "found" something and make them happy (like a brake light that is out or dirty headlights), other times I'll repair something on the car not long before going for a WOF (like replacing some worn bushes) so they can see the car is maintained.

On the last WOF check I did the Subaru had new brake pads all round, new ball joint and new strut tops but I left the headlights dirty so they had a potential failure. It passed with flying colours..... and I cleaned the headlights a few weeks later anyway.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
The last big one I believe was an interstate driver.....Apparently wasn't licenced for a MR vehicle...Just a car licence....Can't remember what he copped, but think a couple of people lost their lives with that.

Also heard rumours, truckies copping fine for using the arrester beds....Not sure if that's fact or fiction...Also been a lot of noise adding another bed near the bottom, but that's all that's happened...Noise

not so much a fine I don't believe, but they have to be towed out, and make good the bed, so there is money involved, and they risk scrutiny of driving & vehicle, so they avoid them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should probably read the article but I wont...

If i need to get a primer on how stuffed licensing is, i just need to go for a drive and see the imbeciles out there demonstrating a complete lack of skill while behind the wheel of their car... and sadly there are plenty to see on every drive :( As to understanding the deficiencies of policing, the deficiencies of the courts as well as the lack of skills demonstrated by professional mechanics doing sub par vehicle repairs, I just have to look at the things I've personally seen and experienced (some of which I've shared). Really, I'm not surprised things are fooked up :rolleyes:

Sadly the world is well and truly fooked up as the symptoms of global insanity are everywhere. Heck one can gain some insight into such by simply looking at the sage that is the Trump circus. It's an insanity where millions of somewhat intelligent people seem to be following a narcissistic sociopathic compulsive liar into believing demonstrable untruths that may end up in a civil war. And that will drag the world into a very dark place :mad:

Peeves me off no end that people are so politically "religious" that they really can't think for themselves and work out that they ae being manipulated by some media who are hell bent on helping such a narcissistic sociopaths try and grab power...

May be become a prepper? Heck you need to become a rocket scientist and then make your way to mars as this 3rd rock form the sun is well and truely fooked. Only problem is you've got another narcissistic sociopathic twit X that will likely already be there :eek:

I think I'll take the MSE out for a drive and smell the petrol as I drive past the fields of flowers :p:p:p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Other areas need improving as well, if they haven't, like driver training....There was a suggestion, the driver as going too quick for the conditions.....
I haven't read it the full story either, but 'they' have to blame some-one. It is tradition to blame someone when perhaps road conditions are not as they should be, and physics overcome rational caution.
As the Police often state " Speed was a factor" ............ well, Duhhh, of course it was ............. Physics.

There was recently a bus crash in the Hunter Valley which resulted in the deaths of 10 passengers and a lot of other injuries, and the driver is facing XX? driving charges.
The roundabout that it occurred on is ....... perhaps ................ not that well designed regarding approach and camber.
It will be an interesting witch hunt court case.

I think I'll take the MSE out for a drive and smell the petrol as I drive past the fields of flowers :p:p:p
No, don't.
It is raining, and you will get it wet, or worse, end up on TV news standing on the car roof waiting for a SES rescue boat.